This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6497 / 54°38'58"N
Longitude: -1.7455 / 1°44'43"W
OS Eastings: 416519
OS Northings: 528315
OS Grid: NZ165283
Mapcode National: GBR JG7P.X0
Mapcode Global: WHC57.5D2B
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 30 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111376
Location: Etherley, County Durham, DL14
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Etherley
Built-Up Area: Low Etherley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Etherley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
ETHERLEY CHURCH STREET
NZ 12 NE
5/11 Church of
Parish church. 1832, probably by William Ramshaw, for Bishop van Mildert;
restored, and chancel rebuilt, 1866-7 by J. Ross of Darlington. Thin courses
of squared sandstone rubble; chancel pecked coursed squared sandstone; ashlar
dressings and plinth. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with
west tower; chancel with north vestry and organ chamber. Chancel Decorated
style. 2-stage tower has Tudor-arched south door, with studded battens, in
double-chamfered surround under dripmould; arms of Bishop van Mildert above;
round-headed double-chamfered belfry louvre over clock in second stage; corbelled
flat-coped parapet. 2-bay nave has label moulds over tall windows with 2 round-
headed lights; similar west window. Decorated tracery in 2-centred-arched
windows of 2-bay chancel, and 3-light east window; head-stopped dripmoulds.
Coped buttresses with offsets define bays; angle buttresses at east and to
first stage of tower. Steeply-pitched chancel roof with moulded kneelers and
stone cross finials; tower has tall wind vane of scrolled wrought iron.
Interior: painted plaster with boarded dado; ashlar dressings in chancel;
low-pitched panelled nave roof on bracketed tie beams; panelled chancel roof
on large leaf and angel corbels; panelled tower ceiling. Head-stopped dripmould
over 2-centred chamfered chancel arch without capitals; naturalistic capitals
and corbels on shafts in inner arch; foliage-stopped dripmould over organ arch
to north of chancel arch; wide organ arch and shouldered vestry door in chancel.
Chamfered round tower arch. Stone-flagged floors in square-and-diamond pattern,
and some tiles in same style, at west end; Gothic-style tiled floor in chancel.
1867 panelled pews with shaped ends; poppyheads on choir stalls. Side altar
from St. Luke's, Darlington, with reredos re-using C17 panelling from Brancepeth
church. Glass includes 1979 west window by Septimus Waugh; chancel windows
commemorate Henry Stobart, coalowner, died 1866. Octagonal stone font gift
from Bishop Thorpe.
Source: P. Kilmister, Etherley Parish Church. St. Cuthbert, 1982.
Listing NGR: NZ1651928315
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings