This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5807 / 54°34'50"N
Longitude: -1.8068 / 1°48'24"W
OS Eastings: 412586
OS Northings: 520626
OS Grid: NZ125206
Mapcode National: GBR HHTG.MQ
Mapcode Global: WHC5L.64W6
Entry Name: Quakers' Rest
Listing Date: 9 January 1981
Last Amended: 30 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111525
Location: Staindrop, County Durham, DL2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Staindrop
Built-Up Area: Staindrop
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Staindrop
Church of England Diocese: Durham
STAINDROP NORTH GREEN
17/160 No. 20
9/1/81 (Quakers' Rest)
(formerly listed as The
Old Friends Meeting
Society of Friends' Meeting House, now house. Dated 1771 on rear gable kneeler.
Replaced house in village of Raby which was demolished around that date for
park improvements; circa 1981 alterations. Coursed squared sandstone with
quoins and ashlar dressings; roof pantiles with stone eaves, stone gable
copings and brick chimney. One storey, 3 bays, with east porch and pent east
extension. East elevation facing street has renewed double doors and 5-pane
overlight in plain stone surround in pedimented porch; pediment bed continues
as coping on returns; left return has sash. Main building has large renewed
sash with glazing bars in tooled stone surround in first bay and small rectangular
vent at ground level in plain stone surround. Pent extension to right of
porch has inserted windows and door and raised eaves. Roof has cyma-moulded
kneelers; small square left end chimney. Gabled right return has paired renewed
sashes in plain stone surrounds, with blocked opening under flat stone lintel
in gable peak, and 2 wide inserted windows in lower part.
Historical note: Jeremiah Dixon, one of the surveyors of the U.S. Mason Dixon
Line, is buried in the grave yard, now garden, to the north; he has no headstone,
although there are stones marking the graves of members of his family.
Sources: Ross and Mackenzie, View of the County Palatine of Durham, Newcastle
1834, p 197; W. Fordyce, History of the County Palatine of Durham, 1857, p.91.
Listing NGR: NZ1258720627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings