This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4872 / 54°29'13"N
Longitude: -1.8684 / 1°52'6"W
OS Eastings: 408624
OS Northings: 510213
OS Grid: NZ086102
Mapcode National: GBR HJDK.97
Mapcode Global: WHC5Y.8GKW
Entry Name: Barningham Park
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111601
Location: Barningham, County Durham, DL11
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barningham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barningham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM PARK
15/12 Barningham Park
Country House. North range and kitchen wing both late medieval or C16,
extended in C18; main block and rear wing C16 or C17, remodelled c.1720 for
Milbanke family and 2nd floor added mid-C18; south extension to rear wing
early C19. Main block front squared stone, other walls coursed rubble; cut
and tooled dressings and some quoins. Graduated Lakeland slate roof except
for stone slates on rear wing extension. Main block facing east has central
rear wing. Earlier north range and projecting double-span kitchen wing.
East elevation: Main block 3 storeys, 2+3+2 bays, symmetrical. Raised
quoins to lower floors, 1st and 2nd floor strings, moulded eaves cornice.
Central half-glazed door in rusticated surround has flanking pilasters with
faceted rustication, triglyph frieze and segmental pediment with sunk panel.
12-pane sash windows to lower floors (renewed on ground floor) and renewed
6-pane sashes on 2nd floor, all in stepped stone surrounds. Coped gables;
small corniced end stacks. Left return shows steps up to C19 French window
on 1st floor, 2nd floor Diocletian window and pedimented gable.
Inner return of kitchen wing: 2 storeys, 2 wide bays; plinth, raised quoins
at right. Older left bay has long roughly-shaped end quoins. Each bay has
double Venetian window and two 12-pane sashes in stone surrounds above.
Coped gable end on moulded kneelers; stepped-and-corniced ridge and right
Rear main block: projecting wing has 2 round-arched 12-pane sashes with
intersecting glazing bars, in stone surrounds with moulded imposts; pedimented
gable with small corniced stack. Right l-bay extension with 9-pane sashes;
on right return doorway in architrave under re-set C16/17 armorial panel.
Left 2-bay north range; older right bay with long roughly-shaped end quoins.
12-pane sashes; roof hipped to left with 2 ridge stacks, one stepped-and-
2- and 3-storey north elevation has various glazing-bar sashes and a canted
Interior: Entrance hall has acanthus cornice and segmental arch to stair.
Library has cornice with acanthus and flower ornament. Open-well stair,
stone to 1st floor, with shaped tread ends; stick balusters, turned newels,
moulded ramped handrail. Drawing-room has elaborate cornice, partly restored.
Fielded-panel doors and shutters throughout.
Original kitchen has C16 moulded beams and chamfered segmental-arched fireplace;
doorway under corbelled lintel into C18 kitchen in added bay; segmental
fireplace flanked by round-arched recesses; old beams with many hooks and
fittings. Upper-cruck roof over older part of wing.
North range: older part has walls 1.0 metre thick; a section of stone newel
stair survives with an original chamfered and barred window (now internal);
a corbelled-out feature in a nearby cupboard may be part of an original
Single-storey extension north of rear wing, and C20 garage block west of
north range, are not of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ0862410213
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings