History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Cottage church House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Goudhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1138 / 51°6'49"N

Longitude: 0.4606 / 0°27'38"E

OS Eastings: 572327

OS Northings: 137819

OS Grid: TQ723378

Mapcode National: GBR PT2.388

Mapcode Global: VHJN4.X8WJ

Entry Name: Church Cottage church House

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 22 June 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338719

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169538

Location: Goudhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Goudhurst

Built-Up Area: Goudhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Goudhurst

Listing Text

GOUDHURST HIGH STREET
TQ 7237-7337 (north side)

15/188
Church House and Church
9.6.52 Cottage (formerly listed
as Coffee House and Church
Cottage)
GV II*
House pair. C16, altered C18. Timber-framed and clad with weather boarding and
red brick and tile hanging on 1st floor with plain-tiled roof. Two builds; Church
House lobby entry plan with 4 framed bays, with Church Cottage recessed and
returned to right. Two storeys, attic and basement. Declining up slope to right
to plinth. Continuous jetty to Church House, with moulded bressummer on
brackets. Moulded wooden modillion eaves cornice across whole front and returned
to side elevations. Hipped roof with slight gablets, with central-left moulded
stack with arched recessed panel, and stacks projecting at end right and to rear
right. Four flat roofed dormers with leaded lights. Three mullioned and tran-
somed 3 light leaded windows with 2 light to centre and sash window at end right
on 1st floor, with 8 light mullioned and transomed window to left and 2 three
light windows to centre right and right on ground floor. Door of 3 moulded panels
to right and flight of 6 steps. Fine moulded panelled double doors to centre left
in large moulded and four centred arched surround with carved fernleaf and letter
'B' in spandrels, at head of flight of 8 steps. Ornate scrolled wrought iron sign
bracket and frame to centre on 1st floor. Two moulded 9 panelled carriage doors
to basement. Right return with 2 light mullioned and transomed windows on each
floor, with outshot canted forward at end right. Interior: Plank and muntin
panelling in principal dining room, moulded ceiling beams throughout and murals on
stair landing reported. Originally a cloth hall, the building was subsequently a
Tavern, a barracks for the anti-smuggling Militia band at Goudhurst and the base
of William Rootes Snr's. Bicycle business c.1900 from which developed the Rootes
motor group.


Listing NGR: TQ7232837823

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.