This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1289 / 51°7'44"N
Longitude: 0.2753 / 0°16'30"E
OS Eastings: 559302
OS Northings: 139089
OS Grid: TQ593390
Mapcode National: GBR MPZ.4DX
Mapcode Global: VHHQD.QWCF
Entry Name: The Lawn Including Garden Boundary Wall and Gate Piers to North
Listing Date: 20 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 168184
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2
District: Tunbridge Wells
Town: Tunbridge Wells
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tunbridge Wells St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
The following building shall be added to the list:
No 5 (The Lawn)
boundary wall and
gate piers to north
House. Circa 1853, architect not known. Stuccoed, probably brick walls. Low-
pitched hipped slate roof with lead rolled hips and ridge and deep eaves on brackets
with acanthus leaf decoration. Stacks with tall stuccoed shafts with modillion
cornices and square yellow clay pots. Plan: An Italianate villa of double-depth
plan with 2 principal rooms on the front facing the garden to the south, the right
hand (east) room has a canted bay at the front and the left hand room a verandah
at the front. Behind is the stair hall with the main entrance on the north elevation
and a room to left and right. On the right hand (east) side a large conservatory
and on the left hand (west) side a lower service wing, set back, with a small single
storey range around a small yard on the extreme left. Exterior: 2 storeys: The
elevations have rusticated and moulded quoins, moulded stringcourse at first floor
level on console brackets and a moulded string alcove at first floor sill level.
All C19 sash windows without glazing bars in moulded architraves. Asymmetrical
elevations. The south garden front 2:3 windows, the right hand 3 windows in a large
2-storey canted bay around which the stringcourses and eaves cornice continue.
To the left on the ground floor a pretty cast-iron verandah with thin posts and
ornate spandrels supporting a tented roof and with pierced cast-iron steps up to
the terrace of the verandah. Set back on the left (west) the lower 2-storey service
wing is plainer and has a C19 tripartite sash on each floor. On the right (east)
side an ornate wooden C19 conservatory with a canted front, gabled side, 3-centred
arch lights, dentil cornice and elaborate cast-iron cresting to the ridge. The
main entrance elevation facing north is asymmetrical: Shallow porch with pilasters,
round arch doorway with keystone and imposts, cornice and parapet. C19 moulded
and panelled inner door with side lights and overlight with console brackets.
Projecting stack to left of porch and sash window on both floors in shallow project-
ion to right of porch. Including front garden boundary wall to north: Mid C19
rendered and with rendered moulded coping ramped up at west end to a pair of
carriageway gate piers which have large moulded caps and C20 wrought-iron gates.
Interior: Was not inspected but photographs show that it is largely intact and
includes original joinery such as panelled doors and chimneypieces etc and the
plaster cornices are complete. The staircase has an elaborate cast-iron balustrade
with a wreathed mahogany handrail. One of the rooms has what appears to be later
C19 Jacobean style panelling and a large carved wooden chimneypiece with a pilastered
Note: No 5 is one of a crescent of Italianate style detached villas in their own
gardens overlooking Camden Park. Camden Park was laid out in circa 1853 in imitation
of Decimus Burton's Calverley Park which was started in 1828. 'According to the
1847 edition of Colbran's 'New Guide to Tunbridge Wells', Burton had by then planned
an estate at Tunbridge Wells for the Marquess Camden, but Camden Park does not appear
to have been laid out until circa 1853, and the five Italianate houses built by
1863, when work stopped, were probably designed by another architect'. (Colvin).
Source: Colvin, H. A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, pg 172.
Listing NGR: TQ5930639112
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings