This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.33 / 51°19'47"N
Longitude: 1.3966 / 1°23'47"E
OS Eastings: 636714
OS Northings: 164467
OS Grid: TR367644
Mapcode National: GBR X0K.KXC
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.5T5S
Entry Name: Gateway and Walls to Former Abbey School
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171746
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Civil Parish: Ramsgate
Built-Up Area: Ramsgate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
RAMSGATE GOODWIN ROAD
TR 3664 SE
16/116 Gateway and
walls to former
Gateway and walls. 1864-5, possibly by Edward Welby Pugin. Yellow brick and
red brick bands and ashlar details. Quadrant walls either side of
gateway about 10 feet in height with coping, extending about 10 yards
to piers, obscured by vegetation with boarded door in right hand wall.
Central gateway with multiple order surround and hood mould with gable
over with fleur-de-lys pinnacle supporting bifurcated cross. Buttresses
to left and to right, the former with sculpt1Joalscene in medallion, the
latter with statue in niche. The gate, with the adjacent lodges and
walls, was part of a convent built for Benedictine nuns in 1864-5
under the auspices of St. Augustine's Abbey, Ramsgate, from 1878 a
boarding school for girls run by the sisters of the Assumption.
Listing NGR: TR3671464467
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings