History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Medstead, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.13 / 51°7'48"N

Longitude: -1.0658 / 1°3'56"W

OS Eastings: 465468

OS Northings: 137162

OS Grid: SU654371

Mapcode National: GBR B88.1CG

Mapcode Global: VHD0V.GVXM

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142015

Location: Medstead, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Medstead

Built-Up Area: Medstead

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Medstead St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Bighton

Listing Text

SU 63 NE MEDSTEAD MEDSTEAD

7/10 Church of St Andrew

31/07/63 II

Parish church. Mentioned in Domesday, enlarged by the construction of a north
aisle in 1160 (this arcade still remaining as the chief feature), C19 restoration,
including a chancel arch of 1833 and nave extension (and west tower demolished) of
1851. Chancel, nave with north aisle, extended without further arcading to form
a vestry, south porch, western bell turret. Flint walls and tiled roof. The
appearance is that of a Victorian church; plain roof with timber bell-turret,
having a pyramid tile roof and boarded walls. Flint walls (cemented to the
chancel) with stone dressings; buttresses, coupled traceried lights (3 lights
east and west windows), single C14 windows in the chancel. Inside the 2 round
arches rest on massive cylindrical and ½-cylindrical columns, which have square
abaci with scalloped caps and moulded bases, on square plinths. There is a C13
moulded 3-lobed bracket, which once supported a statue next to the east window,
but is now positioned next to the south door. There are many floor slabs of the
C18 and early C19, in the aisle, and some wall monuments (of 1770 and 1801).


Listing NGR: SU6544236654

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.