History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pound Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chawton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1328 / 51°7'58"N

Longitude: -0.992 / 0°59'31"W

OS Eastings: 470628

OS Northings: 137543

OS Grid: SU706375

Mapcode National: GBR B85.VDC

Mapcode Global: VHDYB.RSGG

Entry Name: Pound Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142309

Location: Chawton, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Chawton

Built-Up Area: Alton (East Hampshire)

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Chawton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Alton

Listing Text



SU 73 NW CHAWTON WINCHESTER ROAD

2/15 Pound Farmhouse

G.V. II

House. Early C18, and early C19. Walls of header bond, rubbed flat arches,
stone cills, plinth. Hipped tiled roof. A building of 2 phases; the early
C19 wide south front, symmetrical. 2 storeys; 3 windows. Sashes in reveals.
The doorframe has slender pilasters, panelled reveals, and a C20 half-glazed
door, sheltered by a large wider moulded canopy, on brackets comprising 2 carved
wooden angels. The west elevation, of 2 windows, shows the join between the
2 parts (the later is wider), with English and header bands. The rear elevation
has wings projecting at each side, the central part having walls of English
bond, 1st floor band, cambered arches to the ground floor, plinth; an old
mullion and transom window above a plain doorway. Interior: the chief feature
is a dog-leg staircase in the older part, of c.1700, with turned balusters and
a handrail. A small extension at the north-east corner has a hipped roof and
boarded walls.


Listing NGR: SU7063137543

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.