History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farringdon Church of England Primary School and Village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Farringdon, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.1132 / 51°6'47"N

Longitude: -0.9844 / 0°59'4"W

OS Eastings: 471184

OS Northings: 135370

OS Grid: SU711353

Mapcode National: GBR B8K.3Y9

Mapcode Global: VHDYJ.W8FY

Entry Name: Farringdon Church of England Primary School and Village Hall

Listing Date: 11 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339004

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142321

Location: Farringdon, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Farringdon

Built-Up Area: Upper Farringdon

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Farringdon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU 73 NW

2/42 Farringdon C of E primary
school and village hall


School and village hall, within one building. 1870-1900. Red brick in English
bond, with much terra-cotta surface ornament, with a tile roof. This structure
was built during a 30 year period by the Rev. T H Massey (rector for 62 years),
with the help of 2 or 3 craftsmen. It is locally known as Massey's Folly,
a name which parallels the very unusual design; although its intended (but
unachieved) function remains obscure, the building was taken over in 1925,
and later modified, for its present purpose. Of 2 storeys, with an attic in
part, the south elevation has a main unit (village hall) of 3 upper bays with a
tower at its west end; a lower unit west of the tower stands forward of 2
further units of similar size, the westernmost being turned south-west, to fit
the curve in Church Road. This general 2-storeyed theme has had the upper
floor removed, to form the village hall and 3 classrooms to its west. The
north elevation has 2 unequal towers, the taller centred on the village hall,
and the lower giving access to the school. The elevations have many features
typical of English Jacobean, but the treatment is elaborate in form, and
fantastic with enrichment of terra-cotta decoration (representing an illustrated
catalogue of the period 1873-80). The 3 unequal towers have arched and square
openings, some with windows but many filled as decorative panels, bands at floor
and impost levels, and a series of bands and projections at parapet level. The
main gables are semi-circular, and completely filled with dog-tooth ornament.
The roadside elevation has exaggerated hoodmoulds, mostly triple windows, applied
ornamental panels, and a parapet with recessed crosses.

Listing NGR: SU7132335379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.