This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.114 / 51°6'50"N
Longitude: -0.8212 / 0°49'16"W
OS Eastings: 482610
OS Northings: 135626
OS Grid: SU826356
Mapcode National: GBR DCF.35Z
Mapcode Global: VHDYM.Q87C
Entry Name: Headley Grange
Listing Date: 15 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142228
Location: Headley, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU35
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Headley
Built-Up Area: Headley Down
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Headley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 83 NW HEADLEY LIPHOOK ROAD
8/56 Headley Grange
A large house, but built as a House of Industry (workhouse) in 1795 by the
parishes of Bramshott, Headley and Kingsley: associated with riots in 1830, sold
in 1870 when minor changes were made to the building. Stone walls and tiled
roof. Symmetrical front (west) of 2 storeys and attic, 9 windows (the 2nd and
3rd bays now masked by a 2 storeyed Victorian splayed bay of 1.3.1 windows..
Mansard roof, brick dentil eaves, 5 dormers with steep gables (c1870) with
cusped bargeboards, hipped roof to the bay, hipped roofs to the wings. Ashlar
ironstone walls with brick dressings; quoins, cambered openings, plinth: the
cills were lowered cl870. Victorian sashes. Central Gothic stone porch, with
a steep gable, decorative kneelers, buttresses, cambered chamfered opening below
a relieving arch, plinth, side windows, and coupled doors. The rear (east)
elevation is similar, symmetrical with a central projecting wing and 4 windows
on each side. There are 5 original flat roofed dormers with moulded cornices,
and coupled leaded lights, some original leaded lights in coupled oak frames
(some former windows now filled). A 2 storeyed flat roofed block has been
added. On the south side, the single storeyed wing turns and continues for
some distance; beyond it there is a stone wall, and at the south-east corner
a rectangular building fills the angle, having a ½-hipped roof. The design
is repeated on the north side, with shorter buildings and 2 lengths of wall.
The east boundary of the enclosure is a high wall, with a central gateway,
flanked by piers.
Listing NGR: SU8261035626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings