History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Ropley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0834 / 51°5'0"N

Longitude: -1.0793 / 1°4'45"W

OS Eastings: 464587

OS Northings: 131968

OS Grid: SU645319

Mapcode National: GBR B8T.3XJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 86M8.3CW

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339053

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142375

Location: Ropley, East Hampshire, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Ropley

Built-Up Area: Ropley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Ropley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Bighton

Listing Text


SU 63 SW ROPLEY CHURCH STREET

3/17 Church of St Peter
31.7.63
GV II

Parish church. Norman nave (C11) with C12 transepts, C13 chancel with south
chapel, C14 timber-framed bell tower inset into the south transept, south porch
c1700, north chapel (vestry) of 1846, and north aisle (obliterating the north
transept) of 1896. The exterior is mainly of 1896; flint walls with stone and
brick dressings, and a tile roof of 3 ridges. The oldest part of the structure
is the south wall of the nave, and the south transept, with C14 walling to the
south chapel, and these sections contain a C12 doorway, a C15 Perpendicular
south door, a C16 window to the nave, and a small C14 window to the chapel;
elsewhere the details are Victorian. Interior: generally Victorian, but there
are medieval piscinas, a C15 octagonal font, a Royal Coat of Arms with Queen Anne
device but later lettering GIII 1791, and a hatchment. Old photographs show
that the restoration of 1896 included drastic changes, with the removal of
Georgian fittings and a west gallery.


Listing NGR: SU6447031967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.