This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0387 / 51°2'19"N
Longitude: -1.5757 / 1°34'32"W
OS Eastings: 429844
OS Northings: 126684
OS Grid: SU298266
Mapcode National: GBR 637.Y5B
Mapcode Global: FRA 76LC.MZ2
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 11 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140923
Location: Lockerley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO51
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Lockerley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Lockerley with East Dean St John
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
LOCKERLEY TYTHERLEY ROAD
SU 22 NE
3/55 Church of St. John
Parish church. 1890 by J Colson. Squared grey limestone with brown limestone
dressings, plain tile roof. Plan of chancel with outshot, N vestry, nave
with transepts and SW tower with porch under, in Dec and Perp style. E end
of chancel has tall 3-light Perp window with traceried head, diagonal corner
buttresses. On S 1-light cinquefoiled window with quatrefoil in head, central
buttress and W 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in head. N wall has
similar 1-light window, vestry has E shouldered-arch door and N squareheaded
3-light trefoiled window. S transept has on E side porch with S shouldered-
arch door, E cinquefoiled light, quatrefoiled parapet with coat of arms over
door to transept. 2-light cinquefoiled window with traceried head, and diagonal
buttresses. Nave and transepts have gabled walls with heads carved on kneelers.
S trancept has on W tiny C12 lancet. In each bay of nave 2-light cinquefoiled
window with quatrefoil in head and buttress between bays. W end has to N
clasping buttresses, to S octagonal stair turret and tall 3-light cinquefoiled
window with traceried head and quatrefoil in gable. SW tower has clasping
buttresses with gabled offsets. 2 order pointed S door and 2-light cinquefoiled W
window. To middle stage trefoil on each face, to belfry 2-light trefoiled opening
with quatrefoil in head. Corner pilaster to this stage and machiolated parapet.
Short octagonal spire with vane. Inside chancel has stained-glass to E windows.
Reredos of marble with plaster of Last Supper, Boarded roof with ribs. Chancel
arch 2 order off foliated capital on short marble shaft on foliated corbel.
Moulded arches starting above springing to transepts. Nave roof of king-post on
arch-brace with tracery in spandrels, 2 trusses per bay with braces coming down
to head corbels. Stone pulpit and font in perp style. Organ in N transept
behind carved screen. Contemporary stalls. In porch old font of cylindrical bowl,
and reset C18 monuments : 1701 to Mathew Barlow, 1716 to Amy and George Thomas,
also 2 C17 bells.
Listing NGR: SU2984725378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings