History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Ampfield, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0096 / 51°0'34"N

Longitude: -1.4219 / 1°25'18"W

OS Eastings: 440650

OS Northings: 123518

OS Grid: SU406235

Mapcode National: GBR 755.MB4

Mapcode Global: FRA 76XF.V64

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 29 May 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339161

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141071

Location: Ampfield, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO51

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Ampfield

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Ampfield St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Timsbury

Listing Text

AMPFIELD A31
SU 42SW
4/7 Church of St Mark
29/5/57
II

Parish church, 1838-41 by O B Carter and W C Yonge, stained glass designed by
W Butterfield and made by W Wailes, who built E & W windows and S porch in 1855.
Blue brick, mostly stone dressings, some red brick dressings, stone bell turret,
slate roof. In Early English style, plan of small chancel, 5 bay nave with
short N aisle, W bell turret and added S porch. Walls have plinth with
and moulded cill band. On corners flat buttresses with chamfers. E window
pointed with Geometrical tracery. On sides in each bay pointed lancet, expect
for added S porch, gabled with moulded pointed doorway and geometric window over.
Above is cornice with corbels supporting parapet with moulded coping. At W end
is stepped triple lancets. On gable elaborate stone bell turret with octagonal
spire, placed diagonally. Interior is as built. Above the pulpit in NE nave
is stained glass window commemorating John Keble, 1792-1866, designed by
W Butterfield, carried out but W Wailes, who did other windows. Roof has open
cusped framing filling the roof trusses. Stone octagonal font on circular drum.
Ampfield parish was separated from Hursley when church was built, its foundation
being inspired by John Keble, vicar of Hursley 1836-66, and important member
of the Oxford Movement. The cost of the building and the site being provided by
the owner of Hursley Manor, Sir William Heathcote.


Listing NGR: SP3665219115

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.