This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0031 / 51°0'11"N
Longitude: -0.9401 / 0°56'24"W
OS Eastings: 474468
OS Northings: 123172
OS Grid: SU744231
Mapcode National: GBR CC9.34L
Mapcode Global: FRA 86XG.HKZ
Entry Name: Goodyers
Listing Date: 19 July 1949
Last Amended: 19 February 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339220
English Heritage Legacy ID: 141384
Location: Petersfield, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU32
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Petersfield
Built-Up Area: Petersfield
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Petersfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
No 22 (Goodyers)
(Formerly listed as
No 22A (Goodyers Cottage)
SU 7423 3/30 29.7.49.
No 22: Substantial C16 house with high pitched, hipped, tiled roof. New
front, added in early C18 by John Marmon, builder, who lived in the house,
projects slightly and covers all but plastered left bay of 2 storeys, 1
window, with jettied 1st floor. New front of 2 storeys and attic, 2 windows,
brick now painted under 2 gable ends with tall chimneys behind. Lunettes
with keystones in gables. Other windows have gauged, segmental brick arches
with keystones, those on ground floor supporting band across front at lst
floor level. All windows replaced sashes in flush moulded frames. Blank
window space with hoodmould over at lst floor centre; blocked doorway with
cornice hood on brackets at ground floor, centre. Rendered plinth. South
and West walls show some flint work and some ironstone and sandstone walling,
galleted. All have red brick dressings and show old windows with chamfered
brick jambs and mullions. Tile hung lst floor to rear. Inside much exposed
timber work and 6 stone fireplaces with Tudor arches. Old plank floors,
stout old plank doors and an inglenook fireplace to dining room. Former
back door has 4-centred brick arch. Plaque on wall: "John Goodyer, Botanist
and Royalist 1592-1664" lived here. No 24: Adjoining cottage of 2 low
storeys and tile-hung attic, 1 window, under half hipped, tiled roof.
Recessed casement windows with glazing bars, modernised glazed door. Timber
framed back parts and party wall to new kitchen of main house. NMR.
Nos 22, 22A and No 26 form a group.
Listing NGR: SU7446423168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings