History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cholderton Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Amport, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1802 / 51°10'48"N

Longitude: -1.6593 / 1°39'33"W

OS Eastings: 423913

OS Northings: 142382

OS Grid: SU239423

Mapcode National: GBR 61D.TKQ

Mapcode Global: VHC2W.6L5M

Entry Name: Cholderton Park House

Listing Date: 9 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339402

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140157

Location: Amport, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP4

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Amport

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Cholderton

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Cholderton

Listing Text

SU 24 SW AMPORT CHOLDERTON PARK
4/4

Cholderton Park House

G.V. II

Country House. c1800, modified and extended before 1890. Red brick in Flemish
bond; hipped Welsh roof to shallow pitch, with wide eaves overhang, to main block;
some other roofs have plain clay tiles; brick chimney-stacks. Two storeys,
'L'-plan; south elevation of 5 bays. Rendered plinth; small-pane 2-light casement
windows of 8 panes each, the ground floor windows having extra 4-pane toplights,
all set under voussoired flat-arched heads; centre bay of ground floor has a stone
entrance porch with 2 free-standing unfluted Ionic columns carrying plain
entablature, framing a 6-panel door with plain sidelight and fanlight. East and
west ends of main block rendered and colourwashed; to east gable a single-storey
extension with coped gabled tiled roof, linked by a short lobby having 4-centre
archway with boarded door, above which are Gothic-arched and cusped panels, one
featuring a shield; a glass conservatory added to the south side, and the east gable
has a 3-light stone mullioned window . The west wall has blind window panels, one
to each floor level, then northwards extends a double-roof plan unit of 4 bays
having steeper-pitched slate roof; the west elevation has 2 and 4-light casement
windows set under segmental arches to first floor; ground floor has a 9-pane sash
window by 3, otherwise pointed-arched-light stone mullioned windows of varying
pattern, all without labels, 2-light bay 1, two 4-lights bay 4 and bay 2 has a
projection window under tiled roof with 4-lights and 2-light splay. Further north,
another extension set back on west side, the lower storey masked by a C20 glazed
corridor having flat roof, the first floor tile hung with two 4-arched light
casement windows; this unit screened by brick and flint walling enclosing a small
courtyard. Inside, the principal rooms behind south facade in a late Adam style;
the south-east room with ornamental plaster ceiling and typical doorcase and dado
moulding, has a fine white marble fireplace surround with Ionic pilasters, urns and
a reclining figure in overmantel; the south-west room has cornice and plain dado,
and a fine c1800 white marble fireplace surround with coloured inlays. Entrance
hall plain, staircase a renewal of C1900, if not a relocation; most of the rear
rooms, notably the gun room with coved ceiling and rooflight, and the library, are
high Victorian with Gothic flavour. The roof over the south block has late C18
collar trusses. House acquired 1885 by Henry C Stephens, M.P. (of the
ink firm) as the first part of an estate which he enlarged to some 3,300 acres,
parts lying in Wiltshire. (Wiltshire Record Office, Cat Nos. 1340 and 1894 - some
drawings held).


Listing NGR: SP2362142485

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.