History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Quarley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1944 / 51°11'40"N

Longitude: -1.611 / 1°36'39"W

OS Eastings: 427280

OS Northings: 143986

OS Grid: SU272439

Mapcode National: GBR 61G.1JQ

Mapcode Global: VHC2X.176P

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339411

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140100

Location: Quarley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Quarley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Quarley St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Ludgershall

Listing Text

SU 24 SE QUARLEY QUARLEY

5/3 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
20.12.60
II*

Parish church. Cll, C15, early C18, & restoration of 1882. Aisleless nave of
Cll and chancel of C15, with later windows, vestry north of the chancel and a
south porch of 1882; detached timber-framed bell-cote. Plain exterior with a
tile roof, walls of flint (some herring-bone) with stone (some brick) rubble
added to the restored part, stone dressings. A high window above the south
porch, now filled, has thin voussoirs of early Romanesque style, and a tall
north door to the nave (also filled) is similar: a high narrow round arched
window remains in the west gable: a 2-light Perpendicular window is on the south
side of the chancel and the main nave windows are Victorian Perpendicular: the
west window is plain on the outside and perpendicular within: the chief feature
is the east window of 1723, of Venetian form with an Ionic Order of square
columns (inside and out). Within, the restoration of 1882 is expressed in the
chancel arch and a tall arch to the vestry, but there is the reveal of the Cll
window on the south side of the nave, & the stone jamb of a similar window
opposite, as well as the stone frame of the north door. Plain tub font, C18
chancel rails with turned balusters (repeated in the pulpit). There are several
wall monuments, in the chancel of 1793 and 1803, in the nave of 1823, 1826, &
1832; floor slabs' include one in the centre of the chancel of 1757.


Listing NGR: SU2737643665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.