This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3197 / 51°19'10"N
Longitude: -1 / 0°59'59"W
OS Eastings: 469784
OS Northings: 158315
OS Grid: SU697583
Mapcode National: GBR B61.601
Mapcode Global: VHDXK.M365
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138621
Location: Hartley Wespall, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG27
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Hartley Wespall
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Stratfield Saye with Hartley Wespall with Stratfield Turgis
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 65 NE HARTLEY WESPALL HARTLEY WESPALL
26.4.57 Church of St Mary the
C14, 'restored' 1868 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Apart from the west wall the church is of
the later date, comprising an aisleless nave and chancel, a tower to the north of the
chancel, and a small north porch. Tile roof. Flint walls with stone dressings,
including 2 and 3-light windows, flush-band and buttresses to the outside corners.
Above the eaves level the tower is tile-hung (on framework re-used from the old west
tower) with a slatted bell cage and a shingled broach spire. Within the nave, in the
form of 3 bays (4 trusses) there remains a fine open roof of the first period, with
ornamental struts and arch-braced tie-beams, resting on timber verticals with attached
4-columns; there is also a timber-framed arched door into the porch. A feature of the
building is the west wall, which has the exposed frame on the outside, with rendered
infill; the upper part continues the roof design of the inside and below the tie-beam
there is a massive vertical with braces on each side, all the framing having a cusped
effect. Inside, there is a wall monument of 1692, a Jacobean pulpit (from the earlier
church) and 2 floor slabs containing fragments of brass inlays (one of 1448). Grade I
for importance of the mediaeval timber-framing.
Listing NGR: SU7002957698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings