History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Herriard, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2095 / 51°12'34"N

Longitude: -1.0512 / 1°3'4"W

OS Eastings: 466375

OS Northings: 146010

OS Grid: SU663460

Mapcode National: GBR B79.51P

Mapcode Global: VHD0G.QVNQ

Entry Name: Church of St. Mary

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339500

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138640

Location: Herriard, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Herriard

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Herriard with Winslade St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Herriard

Listing Text

SU 64 NE HERRIARD HERRIARD
16/60
26.4.57 Church of St Mary

II*

C13, 1876 (restoration by Colston). Chancel and nave of the early period (Early
English), of which the chancel and south wall of the nave substantially survives.
North aisle (and arcade), vestry, west tower and boiler house were added at the
restoration of 1876, when the whole was renovated. The chancel has lancets, enriched
inside by roll mouldings, and a Perpendicular east window, the wide chancel arch of
several stages is mainly 1876 with an outer band of old dog-tooth ornament. The south
wall of the nave ends in flat stone buttresses, and has 2 lancets and 2 Perpendicular
windows. The north aisle of 3 bays has small coupled lancets, and octagonal columns to
the arcade. The tower has 3 stages, flat corner buttresses, west window, and a plain
stone parapet on corbels. Tile roof walling in flint with stone dressings, and stone
pieces in the older walling. Apart from Victorian Fittings, part of the Jacobean pew
is arranged as a screen for the organ.


Listing NGR: SU6708045680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.