This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3734 / 51°22'24"N
Longitude: -1.1155 / 1°6'55"W
OS Eastings: 461661
OS Northings: 164188
OS Grid: SU616641
Mapcode National: GBR B53.SXQ
Mapcode Global: VHCZN.MR40
Entry Name: Countess of Huntingdon's Chapel
Listing Date: 25 April 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138742
Location: Mortimer West End, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG7
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Mortimer West End
Built-Up Area: Tadley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Mortimer West End
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 66 SW MORTIMER WEST END CHAPEL LANE
25.4.80 Countess of Huntingdon's
1798, and circa 1805. A notable non-denominational chapel of first date, remodelled at the later date, with re-orientation of the interior causing a change of entrance from the west to the south side. In 1826 the property was transferred to the trustees of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connection. The interior is almost a square, formed by 2 equal east-west units and a narrow north aisle, the roof being supported on 2 thick columns (under the valley of the double pitch) and 2 thinner columns (separating the aisle). There are 3 bays, with the columns linked by arch-braced tie-beams, supporting Queenposts, resulting in a flat ceiling at collar level, with sloping sides, continuing
to a lower level above the north aisle; with a dormer in the centre of each side of the southern unit. The doorway leads into a panelled lobby, giving entrance on each side to north-south passageways between the central set of bench pews and each outer set. The pulpit is in the centre of the north aisle. Tile roofing, 1/2-hipped at the west side, where the ridge masks the inner valley; plain brick fillet at the eaves; the south dormer is under an 'eyebrow'. Walling is red brickwork in Flemish bond with blue headers, a rubbed flat arch to the wide west window, cambered arches to other windows. Square leaded casements, the west of 7-lights. The south elevation is symmetrical with the dormer (cill at eaves level) above the central doorway, which is flanked by a window on each side. There are plain double doors each of 3 panels. Above the west window a brick is incised with the date 1798.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings