History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farleigh Wallop House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Farleigh Wallop, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2158 / 51°12'56"N

Longitude: -1.1116 / 1°6'41"W

OS Eastings: 462144

OS Northings: 146661

OS Grid: SU621466

Mapcode National: GBR B71.MSV

Mapcode Global: VHD0F.PP5V

Entry Name: Farleigh Wallop House

Listing Date: 26 April 1957

Last Amended: 17 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138605

Location: Farleigh Wallop, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Farleigh Wallop

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Farleigh

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Herriard

Listing Text

SU 64 NW FARLEIGH WALLOP
15/28
26.4.57 Farleigh Wallop House
(formerly listed as
Farleigh House)

II*

1731, and 1935. On an old site, a rebuilding of 1731, incorporating an earlier
structure burnt in 1661, with a reconstituted west front by H S Goodhart-Rendel. Two
storeys and attic and basement. The east (1731) front is symmetrical, with an angular
centrepiece, 2.3.2 windows. Hipped slate roofing, with 2 flat-roofed dormers on each
side and 2 on the diagonal faces of the octagonal pyramid roof of the centre; moulded
cornice. The main wall is of squared flint, the centrepiece of stone ( ) in fine
ashlar; stone dressings include flush quoins, architraves (the upper plain but moulded
in the centrepiece, the lower with cornice, keystone, and panel, with rusticated arches
in the centre) plinth, and carved coat of arms above the central French window. Sashes
in reveals. The west front has a tall projecting centrepiece, with the upper section
in stonework supporting a coat of arms; below is a flush pediment, a roundel, a band,
and a tall round-headed staircase window, the entrance now a square porch. On either
side are short wings, and further projecting wings, and detached outer piers, to
produce a symmetrical window pattern of 1.3.2.1.2.3.1. This newer work continues the
old elevation style, enriched by the closer proportion of the elements, the total
frontage being wider than the garden (east) front. Within, there is an imposing
octagonal room , on the axis with the entrance hall, and a small room with C17, panelling
and a stone fireplace, being a part, with very thick walls, of the earlier Jacobean
fabric. Staircases, door-frames and panelled doors, also survive from the 1731
building.
(see Country Life September 1941).


Listing NGR: SU6194647370

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.