History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Laverstoke House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Laverstoke, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2385 / 51°14'18"N

Longitude: -1.2946 / 1°17'40"W

OS Eastings: 449338

OS Northings: 149055

OS Grid: SU493490

Mapcode National: GBR 83Y.9HW

Mapcode Global: VHD0B.H4YC

Entry Name: Laverstoke House

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339659

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139311

Location: Laverstoke, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG28

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Laverstoke

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Laverstoke with Freefolk St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Overton

Listing Text

1.
5229 LAVERSTOKE LAVERSTOKE PARK

SU 44 NE 10.1.53 Laverstoke House
3/1

II*


2.
1798, by Joseph Bonomi, extended in the mid-C19. Symmetrical south front of 2
storeys, 2.3.2 windows, the middle section being a 4-columned portico. Hipped slate
roof. Yellow brick walling in Flemish bond, rubbed flat arches (round arches to
ground-floor openings within the portico), and stone dressings; these include a
blocking course (or low parapet), cornice passing round the building and forming part
of the entablature of the Ionic portico, which has a pediment containing a sculptured
Coat of Arms (Portal), first floor plain band, stone cills and plinth. Sashes in
reveals. The east elevation of 6 regular windows repeats the south front detail, but
a porte-cochere of the later date extends forward at the 4th bay, with an Ionic Order
of coupled columns. The northern later, additions are less formal, with some Mansard
roofing and gabled dormers. There is also "campanile" water tower. The interior of
the original house has a fine suite of rooms, retaining their 'Adam' style decoration,
and also a double staircase.


Listing NGR: SP4691350953

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.