This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2818 / 51°16'54"N
Longitude: -0.7552 / 0°45'18"W
OS Eastings: 486910
OS Northings: 154365
OS Grid: SU869543
Mapcode National: GBR D9D.FWC
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.V1LP
Entry Name: G 29 Building at the Royal Aircraft Establishment
Listing Date: 20 August 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137871
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU14
Electoral Ward/Division: Knellwood
Built-Up Area: Farnborough
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Farnborough St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
991/2/45 LANCASTER ROAD
G 29 BUILDING AT THE ROYAL AIRCRAFT ES
Also Known As: THE BLACK SHEDS, LANCASTER ROAD, FARNBOROUGH
Aircraft hangar. 1912, by the War Office's Directorate of Fortifications and Works. Corrugated iron cladding to timber frame. Rectangular plan, comprising two side-opening sheds with central entries. The elevation facing the flying field has two gabled entrance bays, one remaining to the rear.
INTERIOR: timber lattice trusses with iron tension rods to the tie beams in the manner of mid C19 trussed beams.
HISTORY: This is the sole survivor of the extensive groups of hangars that were built before the First World War at Farnborough, the only other aircraft hangars of this period being at Larkhill (Wiltshire: where No 2 Squadron was established before it moved to Netheravon), Eastchurch (Kent: for the RFC's Naval Wing) and the remarkable group at Montrose in Scotland. Typically for this early period of design for aircraft sheds, they are designed as side-opening sheds and are not provided with the lean-to annexes for accommodating workshops and spare parts etc that later became a standard element of hangar design.
Listing NGR: SU8762456569
Other nearby listed buildings