History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Baughurst, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3071 / 51°18'25"N

Longitude: -1.1833 / 1°10'59"W

OS Eastings: 457027

OS Northings: 156763

OS Grid: SU570567

Mapcode National: GBR 94G.TYL

Mapcode Global: VHD00.FDTS

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 May 1966

Last Amended: 18 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339711

English Heritage Legacy ID: 137972

Location: Baughurst, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG26

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Baughurst

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Wolverton with Ewhurst St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Monk Sherborne

Listing Text

SU 55 NE BAUGHURST EWHURST PARK
9/46
16.5.66
Church of St Mary
(formerly listed under
Ewhurst)

II

1873, by Smith of Reading. On the site of a medieval church; small Early English
structure with a nave of 3 bays, 2 transepts and a chancel. Steep tile roofing, stone
bell turret at the west end. Walls of flint and stone, with stone dressings;
diagonal weathered buttresses, hood moulds. The windows are cusped lancets, coupled
below a quatrefoil in the transepts, a 3-light east window within a perpendicular
(part original) arch, at the west end a high traceried triangular light with 3 circles
enclosing quatrefoils. The west door has a single shaft on each side, and a decorated
moulding. Within, the pulpit and octagonal font remain; the transept floors are of
black and white square slabs, the chancel of encaustic tiles laid diagonally; 2-wall
monuments in each transept. Otherwise, the furnishings have been removed, the church
being used as a store. Adjoins the Ewhurst House on the north-west corner.


Listing NGR: SU5665359212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.