History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingsclere, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3268 / 51°19'36"N

Longitude: -1.2514 / 1°15'4"W

OS Eastings: 452257

OS Northings: 158897

OS Grid: SU522588

Mapcode National: GBR 945.NG4

Mapcode Global: VHCZS.8X98

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339753

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138191

Location: Kingsclere, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG20

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Kingsclere

Built-Up Area: Kingsclere

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Kingsclere

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Kingsclere

Listing Text

SU 5258 KINGSCLERE NEWBURY ROAD
SU 5259
13/3
10.1.53 No 9
(The Old House)

II

May have been the Manor House: a large building of 2 storeys and attic, with a
substantial timber-framed core. C17, 1684, early C19. A regular front (east) with some altered openings; 5 tipper windows. Tiled roof, hipped at the north side; 4 hipped dormers with casements. Red brick walling in Flemish and also English bond, with blue headers, slightly-cambered upper openings, first floor band, 2 rubbed flat arches to the ground-floor with later wider openings at each side, plinth. Sash windows; 4 of the early C18, the others late C18 (2 wider windows at each side). Stucco doorframe (early C19) of simple Tuscan Order, with pediment, wide and deep pilasters, on a stone step, the 6-panelled (2-top glazd) door being within an architrave. The rear has hipped and gabled extensions, with a long narrow utility wing extending to the rear from the north end. Carved brick date plaque (1684) in a chamfered recess, below the eaves in the centre of the front. The bay at the south side is of the later date. From each end there are flanking walls to the forecourt, with curved and weathered tops. Within, there is a first-floor room with C18 pinewood panelling, 2 x C18 staircases with panelled dados, and a massive fireplace of the early date.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.