History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashmansworth, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3037 / 51°18'13"N

Longitude: -1.392 / 1°23'31"W

OS Eastings: 442478

OS Northings: 156235

OS Grid: SU424562

Mapcode National: GBR 831.8VD

Mapcode Global: VHC2F.THGG

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 16 May 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339798

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138332

Location: Ashmansworth, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG20

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Ashmansworth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Crux Easton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Highclere

Listing Text

SU 45 NW ASHMANSWORTH CRUX EASTON
2/18

16.5.66 Church of St Michael

II*

1775, 1894. Aisleless nave, with 3 windows on each side, short chancel with a
segmental apse and, C19 porch. The roof with flat above the apse, the brick dentil
eaves (and curb to the apse parapet) and the top section of walling suggests a
reconstruction of the later date; small timber bell turret at the west end, with a
tiled roof. Walling is of red brickwork in Flemish bond, with blue flush panels
around the openings and 2 tall panels to the plain chancel walls, header bricks to the
apse end. Red rubbed semi-circular arches to the openings, with stepped stone keys
and stone impost blocks and aisle, plinth. The west wall is of the later period, with
2 buttresses. Leaded lights, with coloured side panes. The porch has a tiled roof,
boarded walls above a brick base, the doorway being transposed from the original which
is now a window. Within, the nave ceiling (repaired 1971) is segmental in the nave,
and semi-circular in the chancel, meeting the plain walls with a cavetto moulding.
The chancel has a panelled dado and on each side of the altar are tall panels (above
the continuing dado) enclosed by fluted pilasters and a cornice; the floor is paved in
coloured marble. The font (of 2 parts) is C18, of Italian origin, with a white marble
bowl with small cherub heads and a sandstone baluster with raised figures. Cl8 oak
pulpit.


Listing NGR: SU4247756178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.