History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hurstbourne Priors, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2175 / 51°13'2"N

Longitude: -1.3726 / 1°22'21"W

OS Eastings: 443918

OS Northings: 146661

OS Grid: SU439466

Mapcode National: GBR 841.MS8

Mapcode Global: VHD09.5N7K

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 16 May 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339806

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138374

Location: Hurstbourne Priors, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG28

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Hurstbourne Priors

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Hurstbourne Priors St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

Listing Text

SU 44 NW HURSTBOURNE PRIORS HURSTBOURNE PRIORS
6/11

16.5.66 Church of St Andrew

II*

C12, C13, C16, C18 and 1870. The aisleless nave of 3 bays and west tower are of 1870
(by Clark & Holland) and the chancel of the C13 (restored); there is a south chapel
(or transept) of the late C18 at the easternmost bay of the nave, and north of the
chancel is an Elizabethan chapel. Externally, the western tower of 3 stages is in
grey brickwork with stone dressings; crenellated parapet, flat buttresses at each
corner and Norman windows; the original Norman west door has been re-used for the
entrance, and incorporates a decorative arch resting on recessed columns with scal-
loped caps. The nave has a tile roof, flint walling with stone dressings, buttresses
and 3-light perpendicular windows. The south chapel is in red brickwork with side
lancets and plate tracery in the gable window. The chancel has a lower tile roof,
rendered walling, small lancets, a priest's door (filled in) and a perpendicular
3-light traceried east window. The north chapel has a tile roof, rendered walling,
stone moulded gable, high plinth, buttresses and arched (3 and 5-light) windows within
square frames and a doorway. Inside, there is a large decorated Norman arch (formerly
chancel arch?) between the chancel and the north chapel, and another opening which is
part of the elaborate classical stone framework of the tomb of Robert Oxonbridge
(1574) with 2 effigies, and 2 helms (replicas). The restored font has an old Norman
top, with zig-zag ornament.


Listing NGR: SU4356947224

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.