History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fleet, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.284 / 51°17'2"N

Longitude: -0.8427 / 0°50'33"W

OS Eastings: 480808

OS Northings: 154508

OS Grid: SU808545

Mapcode National: GBR C7Y.HR9

Mapcode Global: VHDXN.BZVL

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 26 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339861

English Heritage Legacy ID: 136599

Location: Fleet, Hart, Hampshire, GU51

County: Hampshire

District: Hart

Civil Parish: Fleet

Built-Up Area: Fleet

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Fleet

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Fleet

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012


SU 85 SW
10/1


FLEET
CHURCH ROAD
Church of All Saints


II*


1862. by William Burges. Nave and aisles of 6 bays the 2 western ones an
addition of 1934 chancel of one bay with apse, vestry to north east with
modern extensions (including a Lady Chapel of 1958). The interior has a
pointed barrel vault roof in timber with brick arches separating the bays,
continuing to the ground are pilasters attached to the square pillars which
separate the pointed arches of the arcade. There are half-arches in brickwork
in the aisles, resting on impost blocks. The red brick interior is marked by
single bands and plinth, and by the painting of yellow and black bands and
yellow mitifs: the polychromatic treatment has disappeared in the chancel, now
painted white. Externally, the lack of clerestorey emphasises the
steeply-pitched red tile roofing, and there is a tall 2 bell gabled turret at
the east end of the nave. Walling is in red brickwork, with a decorative
eaves band of diagonal bricks, above cusped arches resting on small brackets:
horizontal plain mouldings at impost level (carried over the openings), at
cill level, plinth. Buttresses of 2 steps divide the bays, which each contain
a pair of lancets. The west gable has a circular window with plate tracery,
this is re-set from the original west wall, the aisles terminating in coupled
lancets beneath a cusped roundel, the, the nave ending in a group of 3
lancets. North and south doors contain tympanum sculpture. Within is a
canopied tomb of medieval style, with the effigies of the founder (C H Lefroy)
and his wife. All the windows have heavy leaded lights, some with circular
and others with lozenge shaped glass.

Listing NGR: SP7424762965

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.