History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Borough Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hook, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2975 / 51°17'51"N

Longitude: -0.9428 / 0°56'34"W

OS Eastings: 473803

OS Northings: 155905

OS Grid: SU738559

Mapcode National: GBR C7M.NF6

Mapcode Global: VHDXL.LNX6

Entry Name: Borough Court

Listing Date: 26 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1339893

English Heritage Legacy ID: 136802

Location: Hook, Hart, Hampshire, RG27

County: Hampshire

District: Hart

Civil Parish: Hook

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Hook

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Hook

Listing Text

SU 75 NW HOOK -

4/127 Borough Court

-

- II *

C15, C16, 1906. The core of the house is a large medieval 5-bay timber-
framed hall, with heavy roof framing, having a cambered collar supported
by arch-bracing and a massive tie-beam; now sub-divided into 2 storeys
(below the tie-beam) and an attic with later (Tudor and C18) brick walling.
To the north of the hall, the former cross wing is a substantial Tudor
block of 2 storeys. In 1906 the south end of the 'hall' was extended as
a 2 storeyed block with a single-storeyed unit on its east side, and a
service wing of 2 storeys was added on the east side of the Tudor block,
but extending further north as a series of lesser structures. Red tile
roofing throughout, with ½-hips, 2 small dormers on each slope above the
oldest part, brick dentil verge to the south block. At some time the roof
above the Tudor block was turned at right angles. Walling is in red brick,
the east wall of the hall and the external walling of the Tudor block being
in English bond, the remainder in Flemish bond (mostly of the final period).
There is a 1st floor band on the east front, the Tudor block has moulded
brick drip moulds at 1st and 2nd (north face) floor levels; a high plinth
to the C16 block. The north face has 2 massive chimneys, with 2 and 3
octagonal flues above rectangular bases, the flues having base moulds and
top moulds (in concave form); the middle flue of the larger unit has a
raised spiral pattern. Several filled openings with chamfered reveals
show the former fenestration of the Tudor block; elsewhere there are casements
(of varied size and numbers) except for some larger mullioned and transomed
oak-framed leaded lights of the 1906 period, comprising a 2 storeyed bay
at the south end and an oriel (with ogee lead top) above a plain light
on the west face of the Tudor block (replacing an altered sash (?) window
of C18; the service block has some sashes. Modern brick porches. Inside,
the large chimney breast built within the south end of the old hall rises
to a Victorian stack. Behind the larger Tudor stack the 1st floor fireplace
has a stone surround with a 4-centred arch, chamfered edges, recessed spandrel,
and mouldings stopped at a chamfer on each side.


Listing NGR: SU7380355905

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.