This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8995 / 50°53'58"N
Longitude: -1.4066 / 1°24'23"W
OS Eastings: 441822
OS Northings: 111285
OS Grid: SU418112
Mapcode National: GBR RQC.K4
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YQ.MT8
Entry Name: King John's Palace (Situated to West of Tudor House Museum)
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Last Amended: 8 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135730
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Bargate
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. BLUE ANCHOR LANE
King John's Palace
(situated to west
of Tudor House Museum)
(formerly listed under
SU 4111 3/38 14.7.53
Circa 1170. Early C14 and mid-C14. Remains of a merchant's house, the ground
floor originally used for storage and the upper floor as living quarters.
It originally stood on the quayside. The west wall was incorporated in the
city defences after the French raid of 1338. The roof was removed in the
early C20. Two storeys stone. North and west arcades have original C12 windows
of 2 round-headed lights in round-arched frames. The west facade also has
the blocked archways which led directly on to the quays, one C12 round-headed
arch and 2 early C14 segmental-headed arches. Within these blocked arches
are 2 vertical defensive slits of the C14 defences which may be the earliest
surviving gunports in Britain. Parts of the original stone fireplace on the
north side of the first floor survive, including both jambs, with inset shafts
and scalloped capitals. Against the east wall is a late Norman chimney of
circa 1200, removed from No 79A High Street, in the form of a long round stone
shaft rising from a square base. This house is one of the most complete of
the larger C12 town houses surviving in the country.
Scheduled as an ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings