This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9132 / 50°54'47"N
Longitude: -1.4035 / 1°24'12"W
OS Eastings: 442034
OS Northings: 112808
OS Grid: SU420128
Mapcode National: GBR RQT.JM
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YP.H1T
Entry Name: West Pavilion, Southern and Western Ranges, Barrack Block and Staff Quaters to Former Ordnance Survey Office Buildings.
Listing Date: 2 October 1969
Last Amended: 8 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1339984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135850
Location: Southampton, SO15
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Bevois
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. LONDON ROAD
West Pavilion, Southern
and Western Ranges,
Barrack Block and
Staff Quarters to former
Ordnance Survey Office
(formerly listed as
group of former
Ordnance Survey Offices)
SU 4312 2/157 2.10.69
This is the original Southampton site of the Ordnance Survey who moved here
from the Tower of London in 1841. They occupied buildings built as barracks
circa 1800 which had been turned into an asylum for military orphans in 1816.
Early C19 one storey yellow brick entrance block now called Barrack Block with
round-headed carriage entrance with keystones. Attached to this is a long
range known as the Western Range dated 1867 on a keystone, of 2 storeys yellow
brick. Parapet with dentil cornice concealing roof. Sash windows, some of
which are triple. Simple doorcases.
There are 2 detached pavilions of 2 storeys yellow brick. The west pavilion
has a hipped slate roof. The other pavilion known as Southern Range has a
cornice. Three sashes each with stuccoed fan moulding above. Simple doorcases.
To the south is the former Staff Quarters, dated 1868 on a keystone and of
2 storeys yellow brick with 8 sashes; modillion cornice and band between floors.
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings