This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0093 / 52°0'33"N
Longitude: -2.0817 / 2°4'54"W
OS Eastings: 394489
OS Northings: 234542
OS Grid: SO944345
Mapcode National: GBR 2KS.VYM
Mapcode Global: VH93N.VRVK
Entry Name: The Manor
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134419
Location: Ashchurch Rural, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Ashchurch Rural
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Ashchurch St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 93 SW ASHCHURCH ASTON-ON-CARRANT
4/16 The Manor
Large house. C16, extension dated and initialled 'T.G. 1614' on
stone door surround at rear. Late C18-C19 extension at rear. Main
body; close-studded timber-framing with rendered infill. Some
decorative curved studding towards apex of forward facing gable of
left-hand bay. Extensions coursed squared and dressed limestone.
Right gable end of main body now clad in coursed squared and
dressed limestone. Gable end of C18-C19 extension partly repaired
in brick. Concrete-tile roof. Ashlar stack to main body. Brick
stacks to C18-C19 extension. Basically rectangular main body with
later extensions at right angles at rear. Two storeys and attic.
Jettied first floor. Doorway set back off-centre right with lean-
to to left. Jettied gable projects forwards far left with
projecting 5-light casement with transom to first floor, 3 similar
4 and 5-light casements to first floor all with unpainted C20 oak
frames. Three, 4 and 5-light casements, one with transom, to
ground floor. Protective fascia board with raised chevron motif
covering ends of projecting floor joists of two right-hand bays.
Similar fascia-board reused to decorate a gutter on the C18-C19
extension at rear. Entrance with almost flat moulded 'Tudor'-
arched surround with enriched elongated spandrels. Early studded
plank door with fillets within surround matching that of outer
entrance, but with ogee stops. Twin-gabled, 2½ storey extension,
dated 1614, at rear. Six-light stone-mullioned casement with
central king mullion to ground floor. Two 3-light stone-mullioned
casements to first floor. Similar 2-light casement to gables. All
windows with stopped hoods and ovolo-moulded mullions. Part-
glazed double doors lower right within segmental-headed moulded
stone surround with the initials 'T.G.' in the spandrels. C18-C19
extension projects forwards on right with stone steps up left-hand
return to former doorway to loft (now blocked with window
inserted). Moulded coping and kneelers to gables of early C17
extension. Triple stack with moulded capping off-ridge of main
body at rear. Gable-end and axial stacks otherwise.
Interior; front right-hand room panelled. Panelling with raised
muntins and stiles (restored). Small C20 stone fireplace with the
initials 'R.G.' in spandrels in front of earlier fireplace with
those initials. Carved double dragon motif over fireplace.
Intersecting beams with deep flat chamfers. Limited interior
(V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p.174) .. .
Listing NGR: SO9448934542
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings