This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9332 / 51°55'59"N
Longitude: -2.1492 / 2°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 389840
OS Northings: 226088
OS Grid: SO898260
Mapcode National: GBR 1KB.PH8
Mapcode Global: VH940.PNPV
Entry Name: The Gloucester Old Spot
Listing Date: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134433
Location: Elmstone Hardwicke, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51
Civil Parish: Elmstone Hardwicke
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Elmstone Hardwicke St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 82 NE ELMSTONE HARDWICKE A4019
6/30 The Gloucester Old Spot
Marked as the old White Swan on the 6 inch O.S. map.
Inn. C18 and Cl9. Painted brick. Red tile roof with brick
stacks. Rectangular plan comprising two parallel ranges with C18
range at rear and C19 range at front. Two C19 extensions with
canted bay windows project forwards to right and left of centrally
placed entrance to C19 range. Small extension to left of left-
hand bay. Main body; 2 storeys and attic lit by two 2-light
eaves dormers. Symmetrical 3-windowed facade lit by 12-pane
sashes with horns within surrounds with cambered arched heads.
Central C20 part-glazed door with projecting flat C20 hood over.
Single storey and extensions to left and right. Four-pane sashes
to canted bay lighting left-hand extension. C20 steel casements
with glazing bars to canted bay lighting right-hand bay. Single-
storey extension to left of right-hand canted bay lit by C20 steel
casements with glazing bars. Projecting stacks at gable ends of
C19 range. Lateral stacks and brick dentil cornice along rear
wall of C18 range. Formerly known as Piff's Elm (after the
publican's surname Piff) later the White Swan Inn, known to be in
existence on site in 1755.
Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p51)
Listing NGR: SO8984026088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings