History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Uckington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.933 / 51°55'58"N

Longitude: -2.1173 / 2°7'2"W

OS Eastings: 392032

OS Northings: 226065

OS Grid: SO920260

Mapcode National: GBR 1KC.RJF

Mapcode Global: VH941.8N1Z

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340067

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134601

Location: Uckington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Uckington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Elmstone Hardwicke St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text

SO 92 NW
7/193

UCKINGTON
ELMSTONE HARDWICKE
Church of St Mary Magdalene

4.7.60

GV
II*
Anglican parish church. Cl5 Perpendicular, C19 porch and vestry, nave
and south aisle, restored 1871-8 by John Middleton. Nave refaced
C19 in coursed squared and dressed limestone. South aisle and
chancel; random blue lias and limestone. Porch; coursed
squared and dressed limestone. Tower; ashlar limestone. Plan;
nave with south aisle (restored C19) with projecting C19 porch.
Perpendicular tower. Buttressed nave north wall. Four C19
pointed windows, one between each buttress. Similar windows to
the south wall of the south aisle. C19 three-light window with
reused carved man's head and lamb's head either side at the west
end. C14 east window with flowing tracery and hood with head
stops retained at the east end. C19 double door obscured by the
porch within a segmental-headed flat-chamfered surround with a
single stone lintel. Carved heads either side of lintel. C19
pointed 2-light windows in the north and south walls of the chancel
and vestry. Three-light C19 east window. C19 plank door on the
south side within a flat-chamfered round-headed surround. One
half of the lintel has fine diaper decoration suggesting it has
been reused. Fine Perpendicular, 2-stage tower with moulded
plinth and diagonal buttresses. Early plank door with strap
hinges on the west side within a moulded Tudor-arched surround with
moulded hood and square stops. Three-light Perpendicular window
above with hood with crudely carved head stops. Three-light
belfry windows with stone louvres and hoods with crudely carved
figural stops. Niche containing an eroded figure (probably of Our
Lady) below the west facing belfry window. Stone slab sundial on
the south wall with a metal gnomon. Battlemented parapet with
moulded string and gargoyles at each corner. C19 porch with
pointed entrance and quatrefoils in the return walls. Stepped
capping to the south aisle and nave. Flat coping to vestry and
porch. Upright cross finials.
Church interior: Plastered nave, scraped chancel. Four-bay nave
with south aisle, chancel and west tower. Five-bay nave arcade,
two western bays of which are C12 with plain arches (one wide with
a round head, one narrow and pointed) on rectangular piers with
chamfered imposts. The other three arches are C19 pointed arches
with octagonal piers. Pointed arch with deep flat chamfers from
the nave to the chancel. Tall double-chamfered Perpendicular
tower arch. Early C19 roof trusses to the south aisle with king
posts from the collar. Seven-facetted roof trusses to the
chancel. Coloured tile floor to the nave except in the south-west
corner where the floor comprises flagstones and ledgers. Stone
flag floor to the chancel. C13 piscina with a pointed surround
with a deep flat chamfer, another in the sanctuary. Massive
elaborately carved stone reredos, erected 1886 with the figures of
eight saints under crocketed canopies with pinnacles and a
tabernacle. C15 screen with finely carved five petal flowers.
C15 pulpit with panels decorated with blind Perpendicular tracery.
Cl5 octagonal limestone font with panels containing quatrefoils
with 4-petal flowers and roses at the centre of each. C9 carved
octagonal stone under the west end of the nave arcade. The stone
is 0.7m in height with a double spiral motif on 3 sides, the upper
part is chamfered inwards with a square mortice hole at the top
(q.v. font at Deerhurst Church). The stone was probably once
taller and possibly not originally octagonal. C19 pews and
communion railing. Monuments; south aisle, seven C19 white on
black marble monuments, one C18 grey marble monument. Numerous
C18 and C19 ledgers at the west end of south aisle. Nearly all
the monuments in the south aisle are to members of the Buckle
family. Nave; single simple marble monument to Captain Byron,
died 1878 and other members of that family. Chancel single marble
monument to John Buckle Esquire of the Moat House, died 1858.
(V.C.H. Vol VIII, p58-59; David Verey, The Buildings of England:
The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)


Listing NGR: SO9203226065

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.