History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wormington Grange

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0096 / 52°0'34"N

Longitude: -1.9333 / 1°55'59"W

OS Eastings: 404675

OS Northings: 234570

OS Grid: SP046345

Mapcode National: GBR 3M9.XR2

Mapcode Global: VHB16.FRTB

Entry Name: Wormington Grange

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Last Amended: 7 September 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340084

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134834

Location: Stanton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, WR12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Stanton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Wormington St Katharine

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Dumbleton

Listing Text

STANTON -
SP 03 SW
3/53 Wormington Grange and yard wall
(formerly listed as part of
4.7.60 Wormington Grange and Stable block)

GV II*

Country house, and kitchen yard wall. Probably 1770's for N.
Jeffreys, enlarged 1826-'7 by H. Hakewill for J. Gist; minor
alterations 1920's by Sir G. Dawber for Mrs Clegg and mid C20 by
A.S.G. Butler. Ashlar stone, slate roof, corrugated asbestos to
part of west face. Three-room, 3-storey garden front, single-
storey loggia left, 2-storey, 3-window wing to right, forming left
return of 3-room main entrance front: long service wing behind, 3,
2 and 1 storeys. Main entrance: slightly-recessed centre above
projecting porch: prostyle tetrastyle Ionic porch up one stone
step, cornice and pediment over; Doric pilasters on corners of
wings each side behind, recess behind in returns, semi-circular
with semi-circular head: back wall double half-glazed doors,
rectangular light over, framed by Roman Doric pilasters; either
side tall 8-pane sashes, framed half pilasters; coffered ceiling.
In recess above porch 2-light casement window, marginal outer
lights, framed Doric pilasters. Wings, plinth, panelled giant
pilasters on corners; tripartite sash window ground floor,
panelled pilasters, frieze, framed Roman Doric pilasters carrying
further frieze and cornice. First floor tripartite, tall, 6-pane
sash window, Doric pilasters. Moulded cornice to whole front,
plain parapet above, set forward over giant pilasters. Hipped
roof, chimneys on ridge either side centre bay. To right yard
wall, slightly set back, about 2m high, plain coping, 11 bays to
corner, with higher piers between each bay. Left return, garden
front: on right plinth, giant corner pilasters and cornice as main
entrance: between 3 sash windows in moulded surround to ground
floor, plain double string course, 3 tall 6-pane sashes, moulded
surrounds. To left, 3-unit original entrance front, bows either
side centre. Plinth to bows, 3 sashes, plain string course above.
In centre single-storey open porch, Roman Doric pillars up 2 stone
steps, frieze and pediment over: behind half-glazed double doors;
plain recess each side. First floor, 3 sashes to each bow with
linked sills, sash window in centre, with semi-circular recess each
side. Moulded cornice: second floor three 6-pane sashes each bow,
one between, with patera each side. Moulded string course, plain
parapet, hipped roof, chimney on ridge each side centre bay. On
left single-storey, 3-bay loggia, panelled pilasters at ends,
unfluted Ionic columns between, all up one stone step; cornice,
plain parapet, raised in centre.
Interior: 'T' shaped entrance hall, 2 unfluted Ionic columns with
Roman Doric pilasters form. screen: 6-panelled doors with moulded
cornice on console brackets over in wings: semi-circular recess
centre rear, semi-circular head, moulded surround with console
keystone, wide panelled pilasters each side. Coffered ceiling
around laylight centre rear. Room to right, centre recess to end,
cambered head, framed pilasters with variant Ionic capitals: 6-
panel doors either side in Greek-Revival frames. Moulded plaster
cornice: simple coffering around perimeter of ceiling. Room to
left marble fireplace surround, panelled shutters, moulded cornice,
panelled ceiling. Stair hall through 3 floors: double panelled
doors to old entrance hall, dummy to match adjoining with
decorative frieze. Cantilevered, dogleg stone stairs, cast-iron
balusters, wreath at foot of handrail: anthemion frieze, coffered
ceiling around laylight. Library, Greek-Revival marble fireplace,
mahogany built-in book shelves with wire-screen doors, moulded
cornice: moulded cornice to ceiling, panelled shutters. House
built 1770's, two-storey garden entrance: second floor, stairs,
and new entrance wing added 1826-'7; Hakewill may have been
assisted by Goldicutt. Loggia added 1920's; part of service wing
removed mid C20, and minor alterations made.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
C. Hussey, English Country Houses, Late Georgian, 1958)


Listing NGR: SP0467534570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.