This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9053 / 51°54'19"N
Longitude: -1.9091 / 1°54'32"W
OS Eastings: 406350
OS Northings: 222975
OS Grid: SP063229
Mapcode National: GBR 3NP.J52
Mapcode Global: VHB1S.VCLR
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134814
Location: Hawling, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Hawling
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hawling St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
HAWLING HAWLING VILLAGE
SP 02 SE
9/33 Old Rectory
Former rectory, now house. Late C16 or early C17, C18, 1846 by J.
Snelling, altered mid C20. Thin coursed, squared stone to main
block, larger stone above, stone slate roof; cross wing thin,
coursed, squared stone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof.
'T' plan, each part one room deep, 2 storeys, lean-to partly infill
rear angle. Entrance front main block, wall refaced left end, 3-
light mullion window, shallow stone porch, half glazed door, ovolo-
moulded surround, stone lintel, recessed oval in gable over,
moulded verge, sundial on apex. To right 3-light mullioned
window, blocked door. Above 2-light and two 3-light mullioned
windows; parapet gable with cross gablet apex and ball finial left
end; ridge chimney behind porch, moulded cap. To right wall sets
forward for gable to cross wing; 2-light mullioned window on left
return. On left of gable single-storey porch projects, chamfered
surround to opening, stone lintel, parapet gable, cross-gablet
apex, ball finial; porch covers 5-panel door. To right 2-light
mullioned window; above 2 similar windows; parapet gable,
panelled chimney on ridge with moulded cap. Right return 3 sash
windows each floor. Interior: stone-paved entrance hall in cross
wing, cantilevered stone stairs. Panelled shutters to rear room
on right. Right-hand room in main wing heavy, hollow-chamfered
beams quarter ceiling; half-beams to walls, exposed, chamfered
joists. Wide fireplace with timber lintel. Cross wing added
1846, wing at left end demolished C20. Upper floor and roof not
inspected. Forms group with stables, church and manor house
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970).
Listing NGR: SP0635022975
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings