This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.917 / 51°55'1"N
Longitude: -1.9521 / 1°57'7"W
OS Eastings: 403389
OS Northings: 224280
OS Grid: SP033242
Mapcode National: GBR 3NF.R8R
Mapcode Global: VHB1S.32VQ
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134939
Location: Sudeley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sudeley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sevenhampton with Charlton Abbots
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SUDELEY CHARLTON ABBOTTS
SP 02 SW
8/153 Church of St Martin
Parish church. C13, possibly C17, largely rebuilt 1887, vestry
1933. Well-squared, coursed stone, stone slate roof. Nave,
chancel, south porch, vestry. South facade: plinth, buttress to
left, lancet window. Single-storey porch, no plinth, semi-circular
headed opening, chamfered arris, wrought-iron gate, parapet gable:
inside similar opening with boarded door. To right paired lancets
with semi-circular heads under elliptical relieving arch, wide
buttress east end, plain, oversailing stone eaves. Parapet gables,
left with bellcote, semi-circular head to opening, gable over with
trefoiled gablets at foot, north and south, cross-gablet apex with
iron cross finial. Stone cross east gable. Chancel slightly
lower, plinth and eaves as rear, lancet window, angled corner
buttress: parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with stone cross. East
end, 3 adjoining lancets with continuous hoodmould. North facade,
chancel as south; buttress to nave, plinth and eaves as south,
paired lancets with elliptical relieving arch; projecting vestry,
plinth, 3-light mullioned window left return, eaves as rear,
parapet gable: chimney. Buttress to west end nave beyond. Round-
headed window to west wall.
Interior: nave, single arches over paired windows, door to vestry
cut through former window. Internal plinth to west wall. Chancel
arch pointed, moulded caps and bases to responds. Rafter roof with
high collars. Chancel, reused C13 responds and trefoil heads to
inside north and south windows: 2 aumbries. Lights to east window
framed by attached columns, moulded arches over with hoodmould,
carved stops. Pulpit wooden, semi-octagonal with panelled sides.
C13 tub font on clustered column base. Two early C19 marble wall
monuments; Decalogue on 2 boards on west wall. West wall probably
C13, but gable raised 1887; porch may be C17. Church ruinous C18.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)
Listing NGR: SP0338924280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings