This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9984 / 51°59'54"N
Longitude: -1.9485 / 1°56'54"W
OS Eastings: 403633
OS Northings: 233326
OS Grid: SP036333
Mapcode National: GBR 3MH.L73
Mapcode Global: VHB1D.51SC
Entry Name: Toddington Manor
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340101
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134943
Location: Toddington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Toddington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Toddington, Stanway and Didbrook and Hailes
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 03 SW
3/157 Toddington Manor
Large country house. 1819-'35 by and for C. Hanbury-Tracy; some
later alterations. Ashlar masonry: roofing material not clear.
Three quadrangles linked diagonally, house proper round 3 sides of
one, with cloister inside, 2 and 2 1/2 storeys; remaining quadrangles
kitchen and stabling, single storey. Facade facing church:
moulded plinth throughout. On left, 2-storey canted bay, flanked
by octagonal turrets with blind arcading, 3-light window with
Perpendicular tracery and flat head to each floor, blind
quatrefoils below, moulded string above. Blind arcading to
crenellated parapet over, turrets carried up to end in crocketed
finials. To left, side of semi-octagonal bay, blind tracery on
first part, single-light window on angle with blind tracery below
to both floors, crenellated parapet as canted bay. To right of
canted bay five 2-light windows with arched heads and hoodmoulds.
Moulded string course, five 2-light mullion and transom windows,
flat heads, Perpendicular tracery to upper lights, hoodmoulds.
Moulded string course, crenellated parapet in 4 bays, with gabled
pinnacles between each. To right canted bay with octagonal turrets
as on left. Slightly set back beyond paired arched openings, 2-
light reticulated tracery on left, boarded door on right with
similar tracery over as fanlight. Blind tracery and moulded string
above, lancet window with hoodmould either side of statue in niche,
projecting head over. Blind arcading, string courses, crenellated
parapet. Chapel wing projecting to right, square-set corner
buttresses, blind arcading to face, gabled offsets: blind arcading
to ground floor, with 2-light window, ogee head and hoodmould,
moulded string, 6-light window with 2 king mullions, hoodmould.
Openwork crenellations above string follow slope of roof, corner
and centre crocketed finials. Single-storey kitchen wing to right.
Set back, partly to left of right canted bay, square tower with
corner pinnacles. A very important Gothic-revival building,
detailing largely derived from Perpendicular work at Oxford:
thought to have influenced design of Highclere and the Houses of
Parliament. Interior not accessible, nor close access possible to
exterior. For interior and entrance front see C. Hussey. Forms
group with terrace walls and church (q.v.).
(J. Britton, Graphic Description of Toddington, 1840; C. Hussey,
English Country Houses -late Georgian, 1800-1840, 1958; D. Verey,
Gloucestershire, The Vale and The Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SP0364233292
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings