History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Kenelm's Well at Sp 043278 Including Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9486 / 51°56'55"N

Longitude: -1.938 / 1°56'16"W

OS Eastings: 404358

OS Northings: 227796

OS Grid: SP043277

Mapcode National: GBR 3N2.WBF

Mapcode Global: VHB1L.C990

Entry Name: St Kenelm's Well at Sp 043278 Including Railings

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340263

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134087

Location: Winchcombe, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Winchcombe

Built-Up Area: Winchcombe

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Winchcombe

Listing Text

SP 02 NW WINCHCOMBE SUDELEY HILL
(off north side)
3/179
St Kenelm's Well at
4.7.60 SP 043278 including
railings

- II

Well-head building. Dated 1887 but possibly incorporating some elements
from C16 building on the site. Large limestone ashlar blocks to coped
gables with finials and stone slate roof to dentil course eaves stopped
to scroll brackets at each end; moulded plinth offset. At entrance end
small chamfered lights with scrolls as cusping and central flat-backed
statue niche, pedimented with figure carrying sword and orb (?); this sits
over entablature over plank and stud door in chamfered surround. Inscrip-
tion reads 'AD 819 S.KENELMUS'. An inscription within says, inter alia
that the 'shrine' was erected at the time of Queen Elizabeth, but recon-
structed in 1887. Building enclosed by C19 iron railings, 5 panels x
9 panels, and gates. Traditionally a site where St Kenelm's body rested
en route to the Abbey. A chapel stood here in the middle ages.


Listing NGR: SP0435827795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.