History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Redcastle

A Grade II Listed Building in Tirley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9538 / 51°57'13"N

Longitude: -2.2415 / 2°14'29"W

OS Eastings: 383496

OS Northings: 228396

OS Grid: SO834283

Mapcode National: GBR 1K0.J3R

Mapcode Global: VH93Z.35B1

Entry Name: Redcastle

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340312

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134258

Location: Tirley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tirley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tirley St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hasfield

Listing Text

TIRLEY -
SO 82 NW
3/138 Redcastle
10.1.55
II

Detached farmhouse. C17, C18 and C20. Square-panelled timber-
framing with bracing, unpainted, brick infill, red tile roof, brick
stacks. L-shaped main body with gable-end projected forwards left.
C18 single bay extension onto right gable-end. C20 weatherboarded
garage and part-glazed door at right gable end not of special
interest. Main body; 2 storeys and attic lit by garret lights.
Windows mostly C20 two-light steel casements with glazing bars.
Two-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned window in right-hand wall of
wing to left. C20 plank door in left-hand wall towards rear within
C20 open-sided timber-framed porch. Four-light ovolo-moulded wood-
mullioned window above with transom. First floor of front and rear
wall of right-hand wing slightly jettied. 1 1/2 storeys. C18
extension lit by 2-light casement with glazing bars and gauged
brick head. Band at rear of extension continued around gable end.
C20 timber-framed porch at rear of C18 extension. Lateral stack
from right-hand wall of forward facing gable. Triple stack at
former right gable-end of main body with sawtooth brickwork giving
tower part of stacks a star-like appearance. Alleged to have been
the site of Queen Margaret of Anjou's headquarters before the
Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471. Reputed to contain original C17
features.
Interior not inspected. (V.C.H. Glos. Vol.8, P.95).


Listing NGR: SO8349628396

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.