This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8514 / 51°51'5"N
Longitude: -2.3278 / 2°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 377519
OS Northings: 217030
OS Grid: SO775170
Mapcode National: GBR 0JR.SD7
Mapcode Global: VH949.LQRK
Entry Name: Minsterworth Court and Iron Gates
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340319
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134393
Location: Minsterworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2
Civil Parish: Minsterworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Minsterworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
MINSTERWORTH CHURCH LANE
SO 71 NE
Minsterworth Court and iron gates
(previously listed as The Court.)
Manor house. Early C17, 1783 by R. Goodman of Lydney; C19, minor
alterations C20. Rough render to road, part on timber framing;
smooth render to garden; tiled roof, asbestos-slate main block.
Three-room main wing, 2 storeys; 2-room wing set forward on right,
2 1/2 storeys; one room 2 storey extension further to right, 'L'
shaped single storey wing behind, partly parallel to front, all one
room deep. Facade to road: left main block, plinth, double doors
centre, up 2 stone steps with nosings, 3 fielded panels per door;
moulded architrave, framed half pilasters with leaf capitals;
alternate plain and paterae squares in frieze, moulded cornice.
Sash window each side. Plain string course at first floor sill
level, 3 sashes, plain parapet. Hipped roof with 2 ridge chimneys.
To right, wing set forward, half gable exposed left return.
Single-storey quadrant link to main block, small window to front:
8-pane sash above, 2-light casement in gable, leaded lights;
decorative barge boards. Front, two 3-light reserved chamfer
casements, leaded lights (on all other windows this section);
first floor two 2-light casements, single-light between. Above
wall carried up as 2 gables, 2-light casement in each, decorative
barge boards with pendant finial; external brick chimney right
end, lower brick wing to right. Rear facade, to garden: plain
render main block; plinth, slightly-projecting centre bay with
recess in its centre. Pair half-glazed doors up 3 semi-circular
stone steps with nosings, rectangular light over. Sash window bay
each side. Plain string course at sill level first floor, 3 sash
windows, segmental head to centre recess. Plain parapet ends,
pediment centre with blind oval. Roof as front. To left low brick
rear wall to service wing, slightly set back from rendered front:
sash window, plain parapet. About 6m in front of 2-storey section,
on road side, single iron carriage gates each end, on wheel on
quadrant rail; dog bars, double centre rail with circles,
segmental brace upper half, fleur-de-lys tops to all bars. Iron
posts, floriate caps, long brace. Between gates 3 smaller-section
posts, linked wires, chain at top. Interior: main wing passage
along whole road face, diagonally-set stone paving, dado rail,
moulded plaster cornice, 6-panel doors. Centre room Adam-style
fireplace, cast-iron grate; moulded plaster cornice. Projecting
wing on right, right section ceiling quartered by heavily-chamfered
beams, first floor originally one room, ceiling divided into 6 by
beams; corner fireplace, crane, 1664 cast-iron fireback. Almost
semi-circular plastered ceiling to second floor; 2 boarded doors
with original hinges and latch. Gabled, right wing originally
timber framed, jettied at first floor level to road. Jetty
underbuilt, reusing original windows and facade rendered, probably
C18. It formed end of larger house, extending back from road,
possibly of earlier date: remainder demolished and new back wall
built to yard. An earlier house on site said to have been
residence of Gwillam, Rouge Percival to Queen Elizabeth I.
(Glouces. R.O. D1501; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the
Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SO7751917030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings