History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saul Lodge and Saul Lodge West

A Grade II Listed Building in Fretherne with Saul, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7724 / 51°46'20"N

Longitude: -2.3724 / 2°22'20"W

OS Eastings: 374401

OS Northings: 208256

OS Grid: SO744082

Mapcode National: GBR 0KN.T6S

Mapcode Global: VH94N.TQP4

Entry Name: Saul Lodge and Saul Lodge West

Listing Date: 6 April 1989

Last Amended: 23 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132550

Location: Fretherne with Saul, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Fretherne with Saul

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Saul St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

FRETHERNE WITH SAUL ARLINGHAM ROAD
In the entry for
SO 7408
Saul Lodge
9/50

the address shall be amended to read

ARLINGHAM ROAD
Saul Lodge and
Saul Lodge West
II
The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 6 April 1989

------------------------------------

FRETHERNE WITH SAUL
SO 7408
9/50
ARLINGHAM ROAD
Saul Lodge
II

House. c.1820 & 1906. Compacted sand and gravel on a rubble basement, faced
with pebbledash, Welsh slate roof. A villa in a semi-Taylorian form. Four
joined octagous. Three storeys. The main (garden front) is of three bays,
the centre set forward as a full height centred bay. Plain sash windows and
one modern window (casement). Centre bay with tripartite windows. Band at
first floor level. Two plain French doors. Overhanging eaves on brackets,
centre bay with parapet. Entrance front has 2 storey 4 window hall block of
1906. Large plain Tuscan porch. Two large casements to ground floor, four
smaller ones above, all steel framed. Hipped roof on brackets. Further
service section of three bays. Casement. windows with elliptcial heads, plain
door. Tiled roof hipped to right. Good interior to main block with much
comtemporary joinery, fireplaces and an unusual staircase, part flying and
part cantilevered, wrought iron balustrade, mahogany handrail. Said to have
been built by the Gloucester and Sharpness canal company as a residence for
the chief engineer. It stands midway on the canal and is visible from the
important group of listed buildings on Frampton-on-Severn Green.


Listing NGR: SO7440108256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.