History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel Adjoining and to North West of the Mansion

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7515 / 51°45'5"N

Longitude: -2.1669 / 2°10'0"W

OS Eastings: 388578

OS Northings: 205880

OS Grid: SO885058

Mapcode National: GBR 1MM.4ZF

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.D7BN

Entry Name: Chapel Adjoining and to North West of the Mansion

Listing Date: 28 June 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340354

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132654

Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Stroud St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Stroud

Listing Text


SO 80 NE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT LYPIATT PARK

4/95 Chapel adjoining and to north west
of the Mansion

28.6.60

GV II*

Chapel. Late C14; early-mid C16 alterations. Ashlar and random
rubble limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with chancel. Attached
to the Mansion by cloister on south side (q.v.). Central 4-centred
arched doorway to each side of nave with hoodmould having bold
labels; plank door. Two 3-light mullioned C16 nave window to
north side, one to south, both with 4-centred arched lights and
bald hoodmoulds. Parapet gabled ends to nave, east having belcote
with octagonal spire on central and side supports. Four-light C15
Perpendicular-traceried west window. Similar east window with
hoodmould having heraldic angel stops. Two 2-light C16 mullioned
windows to sides of chancel, as those to nave. Some offset
buttresses. Interior not inspected. The ancient manorial chapel
probably contemporary with the previous medieval manor house.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Stroud' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 99-145; M.A.
Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)


Listing NGR: SO8857605879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.