This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7512 / 51°45'4"N
Longitude: -2.1675 / 2°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 388530
OS Northings: 205847
OS Grid: SO885058
Mapcode National: GBR 1MM.4T1
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.C7ZW
Entry Name: Stables,coach House and Outbuildings Approximately 30 Metres South West of the Mansion
Listing Date: 24 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132658
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stroud St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 80 NE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT LYPIATT PARK
4/99 Stables, coach houses and out-
buildings approximately 30m
south west of the Mansion
Former stables and coach houses, now mixture of dwelling and
outbuildings. 1809-1815 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville for Sir Paul
Baghott; various additions by T.H. Wyatt for Sir John Dorington.
Ashlar and random rubble limestone; stone slate and concrete plain
tile roofs. Irregular plan with curtain wall and various buildings
forming courtyard. North end: main section of crenellated curtain
wall to right has circular tower with round profile string courses
and battered plinth at each end, that to left taller with cross and
loop slits and lancet openings; lower right tower formerly with
conical stone roof, now missing. Large 4-centred coach doorway
with plank doors set centrally between. Lower square tower in wall
set-back to left; various 2-light mullioned casements with pointed
heads. East side: irregularly planned curtain wall with circular
tower having loop slits, trefoil lancets and pointed doorways;
conical tiled roof. Low archway adjoins in wall. Courtyard:
tower in south west corner with mixed lancets; 2 coach doorways.
L-plan stable block runs to north with Tudor arched doorways and 2-
light mullioned fenestration. Central 4-centred loft doorway in
small parapet gable. Similar style to 2 buildings on west side of
courtyard. A very contrived and extravagant garden feature,
designed to appear like a castle.
Listing NGR: SO8852905845
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings