History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cockpit with Dovecote Approximately 40 Metres South West of Jayne's Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7512 / 51°45'4"N

Longitude: -2.1424 / 2°8'32"W

OS Eastings: 390268

OS Northings: 205846

OS Grid: SO902058

Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.559

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.T78V

Entry Name: Cockpit with Dovecote Approximately 40 Metres South West of Jayne's Court

Listing Date: 28 June 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340357

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132564

Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Built-Up Area: Bisley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bisley

Listing Text


SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT BACK LANE, Bisley Village
(east side)

13/9 Cockpit with dovecote approximately
40m south west of Jayne's Court
28.6.60

GV II*

Cockpit with dovecote. Early C19. Coursed rubble limestone;
asbestos slate roof. Octagonal. Large round arched opening to
each face. Three with small-paned fixed light, others blocked.
Large plank doors with timber lintel on north side added after
cessation of cockpit use. Plinth with thin projecting string
course. Low-pitched hipped roof with projecting eaves on paired
brackets. Central octagonal dovecote lantern, rendered with round
arched opening on 2 faces. Interior: present board floor covers
original cockpit. As entry level is well above the pit it can be
assumed that a viewing platform ran round the periphery - no trace
of this remaining. Despite these alterations, a rare survival of a
purpose-built cockpit, probably built for Captain Hamstead who is
said to have created new outbuildings and landscaped gardens
between 1811 and 1813.


Listing NGR: SO9026805846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.