History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7515 / 51°45'5"N

Longitude: -2.1404 / 2°8'25"W

OS Eastings: 390406

OS Northings: 205878

OS Grid: SO904058

Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.5PN

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.V7BM

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 28 June 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340361

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132577

Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Built-Up Area: Bisley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bisley

Listing Text


SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT CHURCH HILL, Bisley Village
(off south side)

13/21 Church House

28.6.60

GV II

Detached house. C15; altered early-mid C19. Random and coursed
rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey
with attic; rear wing. East front: elevation in 2 parts, each
with single-window sash fenestration, 4-pane to left, 16-pane to
right. Roughly central doorway with 4-panel door. Roofs at 2
levels; ridge-mounted chimney to north gable end of each part,
both with moulded caps. South end: gable end of main range to
right with single-window fenestration; 2-light chamfered mullioned
casement to ground floor, 2-light C15 window above with trefoil
heads, single ogee lancet to attic, presumably reset as roof has
been raised. Pilaster-like projection in masonry to right corner
has dressed stone top, possibly indicating original eaves-level.
Blocked segmental arched doorway to side of wing to left; 2-light
casement beyond. Interior not inspected. Recorded as the medieval
chaplains' or curates' house.
(M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937)


Listing NGR: SO9040605878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.