This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7254 / 51°43'31"N
Longitude: -2.1485 / 2°8'54"W
OS Eastings: 389841
OS Northings: 202977
OS Grid: SO898029
Mapcode National: GBR 1MV.X6G
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.QW1N
Entry Name: France Congregational Church and Hall
Listing Date: 16 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132823
Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Chalford
Built-Up Area: Chalford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: France Lynch St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8802-8902 CHALFORD CHALFORD HILL
13/29 France Congregational Church
Former Congregational chapel and school room, now disused.
Datestone: 'FRANCE MEETING / REBUILT 1819'; school room added 1854.
Squared and dressed limestone front, coursed rubble sides and rear;
concrete tile to chapel, Welsh slate to school room. Rectangular
double-height chapel; single-storey school room on east side with
additional rear wing. Front: 3-window fenestration to chapel,
outer keyed round arched sashes with glazing bars; central upper
level Venetian window with oval date plaque above and clock-face
below. Central round-arched doorway with C20 door, side-lights and
large plain fanlight. Plain upper level band; plain parapet with
moulded cornice. Tall hipped roof. Five-window round arched sash
fenestration to school room to right, all with glazing bars.
Moulded stone eaves; hipped roof. West side: 4-window fenestration
on 2 levels, all round arched sashes with glazing bars. East side:
similar fenestration as to west side of chapel. Central round
arched doorway to school room with blocked fanlight; flanking round
arched windows. Moulded eaves continued from front; central date
plaque below, now illegible. Forecourt iron railings to school
room have iron tops to principal posts with acorn finials. Rear: 2
round arched windows to chapel with Romanesque dividing colonnette.
Interior: not accessible at time of survey (August 1986) but
records show panelled gallery around 3 sides with later Cl9
seating. Central panelled pulpit at north end is original with
later stairs. Various late C18 and early Cl9 monuments, many
transferred from an earlier chapel. Sketch plan and interior view
(RCHM, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in
Central England, 1986; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: SO8984102976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings