This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7053 / 51°42'19"N
Longitude: -2.1858 / 2°11'8"W
OS Eastings: 387256
OS Northings: 200749
OS Grid: SO872007
Mapcode National: GBR 1N6.06S
Mapcode Global: VH955.2D9J
Entry Name: Market House
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133072
Location: Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Minchinhampton
Built-Up Area: Minchinhampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Minchinhampton with Box
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8600-8700 MINCHINHAMPTON MARKET SQSUARE, Minchinhampton Town
19/280 Market House
Market house. Dated 1698; restored 1944. Coursed and squared
limestone; ashlar chimney; stone slate roof. Large open sided
market area, 8 x 2 bays; large meeting room above. Two open round
arches to north east gable end with keystones and imposts.
Circular piers with heavy caps and bases to long sides, many
replaced by square piers. Timber cross-windows to upper floor with
leaded casements, some blocked including those to north east end.
Band above arcade and deep plastered coving are taken across gable
ends; 2 small attic casements above at north east end and small
gable-mounted chimney with plain cap. Attached stone steps to rear
of building supported on arched base. North east end has datestone
and panel of charges made by Lord of the Manor.
Interior: open market area has moulded cross-beams with row of
bulbous baluster-shaped timber piers at centre. Later enclosed
area at south west end incorporates war memorial inscription.
Market house built by Philip Sheppard, Lord of the Manor, in 1698,
intended for sale of wool and yarn. Became one of the 4 chief
wool-markets of the county in 1702. Scheduled Ancient Monument No
(N.M. Herbert, 'Minchinhampton' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 184-
207; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8725600749
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings