History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8215 / 51°49'17"N

Longitude: -2.2433 / 2°14'35"W

OS Eastings: 383326

OS Northings: 213677

OS Grid: SO833136

Mapcode National: GBR 1LK.PNR

Mapcode Global: VH94K.2HD0

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131658

Location: Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Whaddon St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

WHADDON (south side), Whaddon

5/1 Church of St. Margaret



Parish church. C13 with C15 tower; restored generally in 1855,
chancel in 1880. Very large coursed and squared limestone to nave
and chancel with ashlar tower; random rubble to north side of nave
and upper part of east end; stone slate roof. Nave without aisles;
chancel, west tower and north porch. Moulded and pointed arched
north doorway with carved head labels to hoodmould; C19 plank door;
porch has moulded 4-centred archway in parapet gable with diagonal
corner butresses; small chamfered square-headed side windows above
Cl9 restored internal stone seats; C19 replacement porch roof with
cusping to rafter collars. 2 plain chamfered Early English nave
lancets to left of porch. 3 lancets to south nave wall as on
north, above a deep plinth; 3 C18 wall memorials mounted between
windows; square stair-turret to tower with raking coped top
projects flush with nave wall, having shouldered-arched doorway and
stone steps. Parapet east end gable to nave; also to chancel with
Early English. triplet east window; 2 chancel windows in north and
south walls, the eastern being single Early English lancet; pointed
arched priest's doorway with plank door central to south wall with
2-light to left having quatrefoil tracery head in square opening;
small ogee-headed lancet to right in north chancel wall. Diagonal
offset buttresses to 3 stage tower with heavy plinth moulding
broken by pointed-arched west doorway; C19 restored 2-light west
window; small chamfered square-headed opening to middle stage on
north and south sides; 2-light belfry openings with rectilinear
tracery and stone slate louvres; buttresses at belfry level are
clasping and the east pair are terminated above the nave roof with
carved corbels; string course above with single remaining carved
animal gargoyle in east and west tower faces; crenellated parapet.
Interior has been scraped and partially replastered in C19
restorations; nave has continuous rounded string course at sill
level and timber ribbed barrel roof with brattished wall-plate;
round-headed tower arch with C19 timber vestry screen below and
Royal Arms of George III mounted above; blocked square-headed
doorway to left of tower arch gave internal access to tower stairs.
Wide pointed chancel arch has chamfered archivolt supported on
plain corbels with recessed undersides; chancel floor has been
raised in C19 with step at arch and before altar; timber panelled
barrel chancel roof. Restored shouldered-arched piscina in south
chancel wall; plain black marble memorial over priest's door,
inscribed to WILLIAM MATHEWS, died 1720, and to his wife MARY; C19
box pews in nave and octagonal stone C19 pulpit with arcaded top
and base; early C14 stone octagonal font with round-headed
panelling to bowl and heavy mouldings below above a panelled
pedestal. Some C19 stained glass in nave; east chancel triplet
glazed by Sir Niniam Comper, dated 1920. Dominant tower in the
flat landscape. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the
Forest of Dean, 1976.)

Listing NGR: SO8332613677

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.