This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7278 / 51°43'40"N
Longitude: -2.2765 / 2°16'35"W
OS Eastings: 380998
OS Northings: 203266
OS Grid: SO809032
Mapcode National: GBR 0LC.M7Y
Mapcode Global: VH94X.HTCV
Entry Name: Old Castle House
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Last Amended: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131880
Location: King's Stanley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: King's Stanley
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Kings Stanley
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 80 SW KING'S STANLEY CASTLE STREET
(north west side)
4/6 Old Castle House
(previously listed as Old Castle
Detached house. Dated 1563 for William Selwyn, clothier. Random
rubble limestone, roughcast rendered; ashlar quoins and dressings;
ashlar and artificial stone chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-
storey main range with attic; long north east and shorter stair
wings to rear to form F-plan. Front: scattered fenestration,
mostly former 2-light recessed cavetto mullioned casements,
mullions now removed. Central doorway with moulded 4-centred arch
having spandrels with initials WS, woolmark and date 1563;
hoodmould has mutilated lozenge labels; original heavy plank door.
Blocked former doorway to left with hoodmould; C19 casement
between the 2 doorways. Outbuilding in brick attached at right
hand end. Continuous plinth; irregularly coursed quoins; 2
ridge-mounted chimneys, 1 rebuilt in artificial stone. South west
end: off-centre glazed doors to ground floor with timber porch;
single-window upper floor fenestration, formerly 3-light to upper
floor, 2-light to attic with projecting pulley block over, both
with hoodmoulds. Rear: 2 gabled wings each with single-light
scattered casements, larger ones having hoodmoulds. Left gable has
brick rebuilt ridge-mounted chimney. Projecting chimney stack with
tall ashlar shaft and moulded cap to right of smaller gable;
various plain stone gargoyles. Former 2-light casement to right.
Shorter wing has coursed rubble lean-to addition. North east end:
gable end of main range to left with single-window casement
fenestration, each with moulded surround and hoodmould. Single
window fenestration to side of wing including 2-light recessed
cavetto mullioned upper floor casement with hood.
Interior must contain many original features concealed behind later
alterations. Central rear wing contains stone spiral staircase
rising to attic with stone Tudor-arched doorways. Stone floor to
upper floor lobby extending out from staircase. Timber framed
partition on upper floor also with Tudor-arched doorways. Some C19
inserted partitions and doors dating from conversion to public
house. Original panelling moved to Avening Court in Avening CP.
Built as replacement for house said to have been destroyed in the
fire that consumed much of the village in C16. Building may
contain part of the earlier structure.
(N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H., Glos. x, 1972, pp 242-
Listing NGR: SO8099803266
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings