This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7399 / 51°44'23"N
Longitude: -2.2633 / 2°15'47"W
OS Eastings: 381913
OS Northings: 204608
OS Grid: SO819046
Mapcode National: GBR 0L5.YBW
Mapcode Global: VH94X.QJBK
Entry Name: Ryeford Double Lock
Listing Date: 24 February 1987
Last Amended: 22 July 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340669
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132063
Location: Stonehouse, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Stonehouse
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cainscross St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
Canal double lock, now disused. Constructed in 1779, repaired in the late C18 and mid-C19. Designed by architect Anthony Keck for the Stroudwater Canal Company.
MATERIALS: red brick with limestone and granite dressings.
PLAN: a double lock with widening entrances at the west and east ends, that was divided into two chambers by a central pair of gates, making this a double lock without a separating pound.
DESCRIPTION: the retaining walls to the chambers are of brick with large limestone ashlar coping stones; part of the offside (north) wall was rebuilt following flood damage in the 1980s. There are granite dressings at the gate positions and the iron restraining straps that formerly attached to the timber gate posts remain in situ. In addition there are some paddle windlasses, but those on the offside have been renewed. The former pairs of gates are now missing, although there are traces of ground paddles above the position of the middle and upper gates. On the south side of the lock is a flight of stone steps that lead from the lower to the middle level, and some of the setts for one of the quadrants remain visible.
The Stroudwater Navigation, built in 1775-9, was designed to link the River Severn at Framilode to Stroud, allowing coal to be brought from Shropshire, Staffordshire and the Forest of Dean to the textile mills of the Stroud valleys. The Thames and Severn Canal, constructed in 1783-9, was designed to run eastwards from Stroud, eventually linking the River Severn to the River Thames at Inglesham, near Lechlade. The Cotswold Canals, as they are also known, were generally successful, though the Thames and Severn in particular suffered serious technical failings which compromised its profitability; despite this, both canals continued in use well into the C20.
The double lock at Ryeford was constructed in 1779 and designed by well-known provincial architect Anthony Keck for the Stroudwater Canal Company. It was built to accommodate Severn trows rather than Thames barges. Problems were experienced during the lock's construction and parts of the walls had to be rebuilt, firstly in 1789 when the repairs where funded by Keck himself, and again in 1845 when ground movement problems were solved by adding three brick-lined circular drainage openings to the chamber wall. In the 1980s much of the north wall of the chamber was rebuilt following flood damage.
Ryeford Double Lock is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Architectural: as a rare example, in the South of England, of a late-C18 double lock
Historic interest: one of the few structures on the Cotswold Canals that was designed by a well-known provincial architect
Group value: it forms a cogent grouping with other canal-related buildings that are listed, including the adjacent lock keeper's cottage
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings